Had my 4 hour today

nukeswife08
on 8/9/12 2:05 pm
I went to my 4 hour today at Portsmouth Naval Hospital and was really surprised at how many people were there for it.  I got a lot of information all at once and now I am starting to doubt my decision on the sleeve and now I am thinking about Roux-en-Y.  I think my doubts have to do with the fact that part of my stomach will be cut and removed from my body.  Did any of you guys face doubts leading up to your surgery?  I got tomorrow for my blood work and chest x-rays.  Then on Monday I'll head back for my EKG.  Depending on how quickly everything goes tomorrow I might try to get my EKG done to.  I just have to make sure I leave the hospital by 9am so that my husband can get to work on time.
moonglo82
on 8/9/12 2:10 pm, edited 8/8/12 7:11 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Honestly, the idea of having part of the stomach removed, but still having all intestines in tact, was more appealing to me than the idea of having my intestines rearranged. I also liked that there is less risk of complication with the sleeve than the other options.

However, we all have to do what is right for ourselves. Whatever you decide, make sure it is right for you.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

KSqtpie
on 8/9/12 2:29 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Yes, when I very first heard about the sleeve I didn't even give it a second thought...I was NOT having my stomach removed or any part of my intestines re-routed! However, I spent many many many hours researching all the procedures and reading the experiences of individuals here on these forums. I couldn't imagine food getting "stuck" all the time or experiencing "dumping". It almost turned me off to WLS all together. But, over time, I realized the sleeve was the most natural way for me to get the restriction and weightloss i was looking for without longterm malabsorbtion issues and leaving an unused portion of my stomach vulnerable to ulcers. And I RARELY heard anyone on this forum complain..that said a LOT! I'm 1 month out today and I am extremely happy. Surgery was a breeze for me (no nausea, gas issues, problems eating or drinking, etc)! I am satisfied with my portions and food choices and the weight is coming off steadily and naturally. When I eat my portions, I feel just a little full...not a tightness in my chest or a feeling of foamies. I couldn't be happier. That's been my experience. Best of luck to you!

lucy2e
on 8/9/12 7:05 pm - Laurel, MD
I never had any second thoughts about going for the sleeve.  Yes major portions of the stomach are removed - but that is the beauty of it!  Because the stretchy part of the stomach is removed, it is very hard to stretch out the sleeve - you have to work at it - and that is something I have not intention of doing!

A coworker had the RNY several years ago - and has gained back a lot of weight.  They checked and her pouch had stretched back out to original size - yikes!  She recently had a band placed on her pouch.  I don't think her experience is normal - but I hated that the stomach still was stretchy and that everything was re-routed.  Also hated that you have a ghost stomach that can't be scoped!

In the end -you have to make the decision that is right for you.  Good luck picking - I can only tell you that I love my sleeve! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Pobearsam7
on 8/10/12 8:03 am
You have to make the best decision for you after you evaluate all the pros and cons. Having majority of your stomach removed is very drastic and you have to make sure you are mentally prepared for it. Just do your research and ask all your questions,

Kelly                

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views