Anyone get thrush?

ajporter14
on 8/11/12 10:08 pm - gainesville , FL
 I know why I have been feeling like crap the past three days...found out I have thrush and bad dehydration. I am now on medicine and the nausea is starting to go away, but I still am not getting in 3 protein shakes a day nor 70 oz of water! I dont know what to do in order to get it all in...I cramp up so easily and Im scared of throwing up again. I want to feel somewhat normal again! Due to my lack of nutrients I have no energy and have been sleeping all day. Starting to wonder why the hell I put myself through this!? Is it normal to feel a little regret 2 and a half weeks out? I know Im being impatient, but Im going a little stir crazy and feeling very deprived! Thanks for reading! 

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/12/12 6:33 am
What you are feeling is very normal. I had some "what the hell did I do to myself?" moments in the first weeks post op as well. It will pass. Hang in there.

As for thrush, I didn't get it but it's not uncommon after surgery. Dehydration is your biggest enemy right now, so keep sipping! You'll have to take tiny sips almost constantly to stay ahead of it. At this stage, focus on hydration and worry about protein second. You might try watering down your protein shakes to kill two birds with one stone. I had so much internal swelling that the shakes were too thick for me. I ended up going to GNC and buying some ready-to-drink Isopure which has the consistency of water. The flavor was a bit too strong for me, so I mixed it half and half with water and drank that most of the day.

It really and truly does get better. Keep sipping!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

jubjub
on 8/12/12 12:20 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 I got thrush.  Still battling it with home remedies, (acidophilus, yogurt, sal****er gargle) and it seems better, but not gone. I'll be going to PCP soon to get some stronger stuff (Nystatin, i believe, is the treatment of choice).  I'm hoping I can go to the "MinuteClinic" but not sure if they treat thrush or not - supposedly its easy to diagnose.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/12/12 4:17 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I got thrush too, but fortunately a mild case that I was able to fight off.

I know getting in fluids is really hard early in (heck, it's still hard some days) but it's important enough to put all your creativity to work on it.

Do hot drinks go down better? Then tea, decaf, broth, sf hot chocolate, hot skim milk with vanilla and sweetener added, hot crystal light (sounds weird, but tastes better to me than cold) hot lemonade...

Do cold drinks go better? Then sf slurpies, sf snow cones, jello, sf Popsicles, half frozen dilute fruit juice, V8 juice, jugs of iced regular or herb tea kept in the fridge, iced decaf coffee, serve protein drinks over crushed ice...

Set a timer that rings every half hour and drink 2oz every time it rings...

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views