I sold my entire wardrobe at a garage sale- and discovered the fun of thrift store shopping

Kabooboo
on 8/15/12 4:52 am
     I had a garage sale last week and sold all of my clothes that no longer fit. I had a huge wardrobe of some really nice clothes that I really liked. But I was happy to get rid of it to make way for smaller sizes.  I priced everything really cheap.
     A rather thin woman was grabbing a big armful of blazers off of the racks. I started to talk to her and found out that she was a volunteer at an organization that helps disadvantaged women prepare to enter the job market. One aspect of that is to help them with clothing for work and interviews.  She told me that they have only one tiny rack of plus size clothing, and that plus size woman often leave empty handed when they try to find some clothing. She was thrilled with the clothes I had and how cheap my prices were. She ended up buying $75 worth, which was several huge armfuls of clothing. Lo and behold, she came back the next day and bought even more! She said the director of the organization was thrilled and told her to go get more.
     What really makes me happy about this is that my mother, who died 6 years ago, was at one point a director of several women's programs to help women prepare for life transitions and the job market. I felt I was honoring my mother by selling the clothes for a cause she was so passionate about.
     I have spent the past few days shopping at Goodwill and other thrift stores. And I have scored! Lots of designer blazers and jeans (Ralph Lauren, Jones New York, etc..) and pants, nice blouses- I bought three or four sizes down. I know my body type and can eyeball which cuts of clothing will fit me eventually. I so enjoyed the treasure hunt and finding clothing I will feel good about wearing, even temporarily. And the prices- OMG, I never knew such nice clothes were available so cheaply. Some of them were only $1.49!
    To top it off, I now know my goal. Over and over again as I looked through racks of clothing that were not sorted by size, I would find something I really liked and check the size. Every single time it was a size 10- and I mean like about 50 times at 4 different stores.  I take that as a sign that size 10 is what my goal will be. One day I will go back and be buying those size 10s.....

TSinNC
on 8/15/12 4:57 am
VSG on 08/16/12
How wonderful that your old clothing will be able to help other women dress for success! Congrats on the thrift store finds, too!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

jenngirl
on 8/15/12 5:47 am
VSG on 06/25/12
I love the story about the clothes going to women making life transitions!! What a great cause that lady is working for. I am so glad that you where there when she needed you!! Awesome!!

Girl, go back to those stores, find the size 10's you cannot live without, and buy them...YOU WILL GET THERE!!!

Have fun getting to a 10!!!
Kabooboo
on 8/15/12 6:35 pm
I've thought about buying a couple of the size 10s to hang in my closet as a goal....Can't beat the price but the motivation could be priceless!

AdeanaMarie
on 8/15/12 5:57 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Love shopping at thrift stores. I cannot bring myself to pay full price anymore. Not when I can get a pair of DKNY Jeans for $1.00 when Salvation Army does their sales.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Kabooboo
on 8/15/12 6:36 pm
I think I am a convert now too! When I get to goal I know some of my clothes at least will be from thrift stores. The money I save will give me the money to buy a few more special pieces at the regular stores.

Italian-Princess
on 8/15/12 6:43 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Sleeve Sis

What a great thing to have happen!  And to have the added bonus of the connection with your Mother's devotion to women's issues had to make your heart happy.

Thanks for posting such an uplifting story this morning

And way to go on your progress.............keep workin' that sleeve!

Ree
Kabooboo
on 8/15/12 6:38 pm
Hi Ree-My heart is happy.  I've lost 2 pounds in 2 days after another stall and I feel it is full steam ahead.  Thanks for your support!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views