Can I eat the cake?

itzmetinab
on 8/15/12 5:38 pm - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
I am throwing a BIG baby shower for my best friend on the 26th.  This will be my first celebration of any sort since my surgery (7/16).  So far my calorie intake is around 500 and I'm getting about 70 grams of protein per day.  I haven't eaten anything off plan, nor have I really wanted to.

My question is...is it ok to have a couple of bites of cake at the baby shower as long as I'm under my calories and get my protein in?  I may not even want it, but I'm just wondering in these situations, what is the appropriate action?

Thanks for any feedback! 

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

kamehanaokala
on 8/15/12 5:52 pm - HI
I'd say check with your doctor. I wasn't able to have that stuff at one month post op. But, I know you will have fun regardless. Baby showers are always a blast.

beckyinkc
on 8/15/12 6:07 pm
VSG on 07/25/12
I second checking with your doc and nutritionist.  My plan definitely wouldn't allow it.  Something to think about is that if you tend to have a sweet tooth or crave that stuff, it could really be a trigger for you and make you crave more or eat more.

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 6:10 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

I'm having my revision to VSG on Monday.  At a month out, I'm supposed to still be on full liquids, included pureed foods.  Unless your instructions are significantly different, I wouldn't suggest you eat that cake, unless you throw two teaspoons into the blender with protein powder and some sort of liquid.

What you do is make a protein shake with whatever flavor powder  you are using that is a similar base to the cake and add some sugar free syrup (Da Vinci, Torani, etc.) that correlate to the other flavors of the cake fillings and frosting (along with your binding liquid) and have a cake protein shake.

loverofcats
on 8/15/12 6:17 pm
 About Time has a protein called "Birthday Cake." This may be more appropriate for your stage. At one month out, it was all I could do, to get in enough protein and fluids. Cake was the last thing on my mind. There will be time for that, when you get to maintenance.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

itzmetinab
on 8/15/12 6:33 pm - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 I just got my sample of it in the mail today!  I can't wait to try it!  Thanks for the feedback!

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 7:10 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
OOOH, that sounds good!  TYVM.
karynh
on 8/15/12 7:21 pm - Tampico, IL
VSG on 09/26/12
stay away from the cake lol
diane S.
on 8/15/12 8:36 pm
well it probably won't destroy you to have a couple of bites, but why do it? the most important thing right now is to establish good habits which means passing up cake and such. since you are giving the party you can make something suitable for yourself like a frozen protein drink or pudding. you are going to have to learn to pass up high calorie foods when others are pigging out so why not start now. no one else cares what you eat or don't eat so don't use this as an excuse. its a bad habit and right now its all about habits.

hope you have a gret event and congrats to your best friend.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

califsleevin
on 8/15/12 10:09 pm - CA
Of course this is off plan, whatever the plan may be, so we all know what your doc's or nut's answer would be. As to whether it will be damaging, that's unlikely. If you are doing a cheat it should at least be within the context of whatever your progression is within your doc's program - some will still be on liquids at that point while others will be having steak. Whether you can tolerate it within your own personal plan is up to you - would such a thing be a trigger driving you to crave more of it for days or weeks thereafter as some find, or would it be just a 'ok, a piece of cake, no big deal' to you?

One thing to watch for, however, is that you may not tolerate the sugar very well - many of us find that it goes thru very quickly and hits us with a 'that was a big mistake' type of feeling (a cousin of reactive hypoglycemia or dumping syndrome - your pick) so it may not be something that you want to experiment with in public. An alternative, beyond the special protein drink ideas offered by others, is to look into some of the Eggface lady's WLS friendly protein cakes - you can make yourself (and anyone else who is interested) your own small celebratory cake that has a decent amount of protein in it and is relatively guilt free.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views