6 month Check-In: 100lbs down and a surprising romance...

Rosemary1031
on 8/15/12 4:18 pm - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12

When you hear fellow sleevers say their surgery date is almost like a birthday, they are not kidding. Every month has been a mini celebration of my new life, and a reflection of my “old life" and why my dedication to my health is important to me. Six months ago, I was lying in my bed at home, one day out of the hospital, cautiously sipping on broth, wondering if my “extreme" decision was going to pay off...

Real talk…

The first month of this journey was sketchy. I lost a dramatic 12 lbs the first week after surgery, but then had to face a 3 week stall. At that point, a tremendous amount of doubt entered my sphere and I was so afraid I would be THAT ONE fat girl this procedure was not going to work on. It was a tough month, but once that stall ended, I’ve enjoyed steady weight loss since!  Information is your ally on this journey. I’ve followed my doctor’s plan, especially the graduating food stages, and it has not failed me. I’ve had a few weeks of no weight loss and I realize it was because I either didn’t get any physical activity or too much. Water washes away that fat effortlessly! Well, maybe not literally, but when I push-in tha****er I lose the most weight. Luckily, I’ve only thrown-up twice; both times I had eaten foods that definitely didn’t fall in the plan and it made me quite uncomfortable that I’ve made myself throw up to feel better. This has been recent, the last month as a matter of fact. The further out you are, the more choices you have, and its not until you gauge how certain foods will affect you that you learn to consume less or avoid them altogether. Otherwise, the weight loss feels EASY with your handy-dandy tool. Take care of it, use it wisely, and it will take you to your goal! I say this with so much certainty because I see myself getting to the weight I’ve always wanted to be – I really feel it will happen for me!

One sad reality…

This has been an overall amazing and positive 6 months!  I’m more active,  social, and ballsier than I used to be. I feel amazing and it is resonating with a lot of people in my life. This makes for a sad reality, as well. I never realized how invisible I was, living as an overweight person, in this society. I’ve never thought of myself as unattractive or unfriendly but I definitely notice a huge change in the way people treat me at my current size vs 100 lbs heavier. There are days when I feel like a conversation piece, days when people tell me how great I look, how much younger, happier, skinnier, I look. They are so attentive, so accepting. It begins to make me a little angry to think “well, why did it take you so long to come around when I’ve always been ME". I’ve learned to not take this personal and focus on the positive. But it gives you a hell of a perspective as to the definite bias that exists for people of size in our society.

I’m a frikking ninja…

Going through this surgery has been self-affirming. Six months ago, I opted for a major surgery considered experimental and even life threatening judging by the waiver forms I had to fill out. I chose to restrict my stomach a size similar to that of a child. It is not a surgery for wusses. The hardest part is the 2-3 week liquid diet and the day of surgery. I had to really harden up because I really wanted/needed this surgery but I had never gone under. I had to do this for so many reasons, and that meant sacrificing it all for those several hours. Looking back to the moments that led to surgery is very tough but it also strengthens me. I did something that I said I would do and every day I am reminded of my success. Overcoming this kind of physical adversity makes you feel like you can overcome so much more, and you do! This new lease on life has brought out my sense of adventure and newfound hubris. And the clothes! Clothes do not seem to last very long before I have shrunk out of them. Yes, that IS a nice change, isn’t it? J

Now some juicy stuff…

3 months post-surgery, I met someone special at my hospital’s WLS Support group. Our journeys are very similar, she was sleeved a month after I was by the same surgeon. We have been dating for the last 3 months. It’s a very unique experience, dating someone who was also sleeved, and I am overall amazed at how cool it is to not only have a sleeve-sister but a sleeve girlfriend. We are a huge source of support and motivation for each other. She has taught me how to cook delicious and nutritious dishes, and I think I’ve rubbed off some of my good post-sleeve habits on her. Lets not forget how cheap it is when we go out on dinner dates. One shared entrée is always enough J We are discovering this new life together with dancing, bike riding, and we have many more very active plan on the horizon. It’s wonderful to have someone understand that right now, and that it’s someone you truly ENJOY and learn from is a plus!

This has been an amazing and eye-opening experience for me and the absolute best decision I've ever made in my life!

Before:

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

3 Months Out:

6 Months Out:

My partner in crime and I:

Jenny C.
on 8/15/12 4:23 pm
So awesome!!  Congratulations on your success and on your new relationship.  It must be so great to have that level of support in a relationship.  My husband is right there with me, but won't ever know what it feels like to go through this process.

I, too, am annoyed by how much more accepted I am in society.  ****** me off.

Best of luck--you are doing so great!!

TSinNC
on 8/15/12 4:30 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
You look wonderful! Congratulations on your success! And on meeting a special new person!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 4:39 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
You are beautiful and it's so wonderful that you were able to connect with someone! Can't wait to join you in the Century Club. 
beckyinkc
on 8/15/12 4:43 pm
VSG on 07/25/12
Just adorable together!  I'm so happy for your success and that you've found beautiful lady love.

sledge
on 8/15/12 4:44 pm
 I loved reading this!  Yay and Congratulations to you and your gf.

HW: 406; Cons W: 348; start of pre op diet:320; Surgery Weight: 299; CW: 218;
Surgery 8/21/12

Here I come, Life.

LJ123
on 8/15/12 4:56 pm
Congratulations! Way to work it! You look wonderful and sound super happy, which is just as important (or more).

Pinkone
on 8/15/12 5:01 pm - Des Moines, IA
VSG on 08/13/12
 Really awesome! Thanks for sharing your story and your happiness!
Tracey    
KELLY H.
on 8/15/12 5:10 pm - Greenbrier, TN
VSG on 12/26/12
 Great story! I cried.  I am such a big softy.  I tell my oldest daughter all the time (who is 17 and 95lbs but eats like a 400# man) that being obese is worse than having a missing limb or being disfigured in our society.  People don't talk to me or treat me like they treat others and I find myself avoiding situations to keep from having my feelings hurt.  I am nearly a shut in and I can't wait for it all to change for me! 

Congrats on your wonderful life! 
loverofcats
on 8/15/12 5:11 pm
 Congratulations on your new life!!! WLS is such a wonderful gift and second chance at a healthier and more active lifestyle.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views