Straws

ladyshai27
on 8/16/12 6:51 pm - SC
 Can we ever drink out of straws again? What is the problem with drinking out of straws?
Feystorm
on 8/16/12 7:15 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I am 5 months out - been drinking out of straws for about 2 months or so.  I was told the problem with straws is the introduction of air.  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Stayce
on 8/16/12 7:53 pm
VSG on 03/28/12
 I've gotten use to not drinking with a straw. I avoid them altogether. My Doctor said that it allows air in, just like talking and breathing......if that helps :)
 Life is not an emergency, live one day at a time.        
SmilinGal
on 8/16/12 7:59 pm - TN
VSG on 02/28/12
We were given straws in the hospital and I have used one ever since with no problem.

lucy2e
on 8/16/12 8:08 pm - Laurel, MD
In the beginning you avoid them because you are swallowing that column of air.  Once everything is healed and gas is less of an issue it is fine to use. 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Pinkone
on 8/16/12 8:45 pm - Des Moines, IA
VSG on 08/13/12
Just had my surgery Monday, and I was given straws in the hospital as well. I'm usually not a straw user at all, but they didn't seem to think it mattered and used them.
Tracey    
Kelly-AnneH
on 8/17/12 2:00 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
There was a straw on my tray the day after surgery and I used it - no problem. In fact, I find it much easier to get fluids in with a straw than sipping from a bottle or glass.
Wildoatslady
on 8/17/12 3:13 am
I used a straw from the beginning, I took in more air & too much fluid if I tried to "sip".. I just took it really slow.
StartWeight:264
Surgery date 11/23        
SandyFromNJ
on 8/17/12 4:29 am
I work in a hospital.   Your meal trays are from the dietary department.   The doctor writes a diet order for you.  Such as 'thin liquids'.   The doctor does not put in the order, NO STRAWS.  Dietary prepares your meal tray.   They are 'line' workers.  They have a high school education.  They know nothing about 'why' you are in the hospital.  They just know that each tray needs eating utensils, a napkin and a straw.   Just because the straw is on your tray does not mean that it is OK to use. 

In nursing school, they do not cover weight loss surgery.  Unless the hospital has specific post op orders that state that post-op weight-loss surgery patients should not use straws, the nurse or nurse's aide is not going to correct you.

As a Pre-Op weight loss surgery patient, I can tell you that I have learned from my doctor, at the Introduction to weight loss surgery meeting, at the weight loss surgery support group, pamphlets about gastric sleeve, books about gastric sleeve and all the on-line information, You should NOT use a straw.   This is the beauty of pre-op teaching, you learn what to expect and what to do AFTER surgery.  Everyone is different, if all the information says, Don't use a straw, then don't use a straw.  Apparently some people can tolerate using a straw but if all the info out there says, don't use a straw, chances are the more than half of the post op patients do not tolerate it.  I think, not using a straw for the rest of my life, would be an easy adjustment compared to all the other changes that I am expecting.  :)

toniosmom
on 8/17/12 7:18 am
I had my surgery on Wednesday and have not used a straw.  I find that the best way for me to get my water without any extra air is to use a spoon.  I found that when I was sipping, I was taking in too much air and I was feeling bubbles as it went down my throat.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views