Private Pay

bob-h
on 8/17/12 9:51 am - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12
Hello. My name is Bob and I just signed up here. I don't see a search button so my 1st question is... I am considering have the sleeve done and was wondering if anybody has gone the private pay route as my insurance will not cover anything. Wondering what to expect for cost. The surgeon I have been doing research on offers it for $11000.00 with 2 years follow up. Thanks for any and all replies.
synthangel
on 8/17/12 12:34 pm - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
 Hello Bob and welcome!

The search is in the upper right hand side. But keep in mind you will get search results for all of the surgeries unless you specify vsg.

Here in LV there is a biatric excellence center (desert springs hostpital) that will do self pay for only $7500. I am not sure about the follow ups. But most follow up (as far as labs, being taken off meds, sleep apnea, etc) can be done through your PCP and will be covered by insurance.

I know a lot of people on here have gone to Mexico and paid around $5000, and had an excellent experience and even better results.

Best of luck to you on your decision!
Escape_Pod
on 8/17/12 12:37 pm
Hi Bob,
I was in the same boat - I have insurance, but it has a complete exclusion for WLS, so I had to self-pay.  My costs were comparable to yours, insurance covered most of the pre-op testing.  My surgeon's package also included BLIS insurance, in case I ended up with post-op complications.  That was important to me, I was worried about unanticipated expenses, though I didn't end up needing it.  I decided early on I wasn't interested in working with a surgeon that wasn't BLIS-insured.
I know there are less expensive options - many people go to Mexico.  There are also less-expensive places in the US - experienced surgeons in Vegas and other places.  For me, I've been glad to have a local surgeon for follow-up.
Hope this helps!  (Oh - and you'll see a search box in the upper right corner. )

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

Valarie L.
on 8/17/12 1:05 pm - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
 I am a self pay.  My surgeon is charging $13335 and it includes one year of follow up.  Like all things shop around, but don't compromise your level of care for a few hundred bucks.

Also, as I was shopping around I noticed that some included pre-op tests and others did not, so be sure to find out what all is included in the price you are given.

5'9"  HW - 295   SW - 270   CW - 201

skinny cat
on 8/17/12 1:15 pm
VSG on 01/08/13
Hi Bob,
I am trying to change insurance to my husband's new job. We have Tricare through the military but it doesn't cover the sleeve yet and I don't want RNY. I looked into self pay (I am in CT) and it is $16K but I don't think that covers any follow up. At my next visit I am going to ask about the BLIS insurance I just heard mentioned. I went on verticalsleevetalk.com (sorry to mention another forum on here) and put out a question about self pay. It seems in the US that most range from 7K to 25K. There was one person who said over 100K but I think that person was quoting what insurance paid, not self pay.
Good luck

lisa2job
on 8/17/12 3:23 pm - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
Hi bob

another Self pay here ,  first and foremost I made sure that I was going through a good surgeon who had  great results and lots of surgery's under her belt.  she is one of the top doctors in the Seattle area.  My cost were alot higher than others  most are saying on here.,   but the package deal my weight loss center has is around  $18,000.   and that was one of the lower cost in hte area some quoted higher.     I did  however find some cheaper ones but the doctors were new or didnt have the experience.

what it covered:  
  it   covered the first visit,  doctor fees for procedure,  assitant fees, any stay under 24 hours  , anethesea  , nutritional counseling, and also includes the extra "blis"  insurance jsut  in case something happens after surgery.   my fee also covers 1 years follow up

Each place I checked when I was looking around had different programs and covered different things.  What I did find  though , if you go through a hopital its alot more expensive than through a clinic type setting.  I would  make sure that any price quotes are covering , initail visit,  doctor procedure  fee, assitant fees, follow up visits , anesethea ,any facility fees & the nutrionist ,     also ask about any other hidden costs I found that even some clinics dont do the procedure there in the office so you would have to go to the hospital they are working with and that could run  antoher 6-8 thousand depending on how long hospital rates from what they quote you.  

Now the pre lims cost  were not too bad,  I was lucky the sleep lap $4000 was covered by my insurance and the pre op  lab test  that run about $1000 ( I heard that not sure opf exact amoutn because  my insurance covered it ) where also where covered because I went through my family doc and had the test run thru her office,  the EGD was  alsocovered too by insurance.    the only thing not was the  physicological eval  for $165.

I would say the most important thing is get a good surgeon with expierience!!!!  

Lisa
bob-h
on 8/18/12 8:42 am - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12
How do you know about Dr. Pleatman if I may ask?
Carmelita
on 8/17/12 5:30 pm - Four Corners, NM
Welcome aboard Bob!

oooh Doc Pleatman is one of thee best VSG surgeons in the US!  Your in exemplary hands! Worth every penny!  His YouTube video was the 1st  VSG surgical video I ever watched ...when I started checkin into VSG. 

I self paid 14.5K in SoCal for an equally brilliant surgeon... while waiting for insurance to review my appeal n overturn my pre-authorization denial..which they did...I knew they would ,-)
a hoop I had to jump back in the pioneerin days ...before VSG was legit...(Jan 2010)

Once insurance paid off my VSG within a couplea weeks of hospital billin em.. ...it took what seemed like forever (~8months) for the hospital to reimburse all my monies to me.....jerks! They taketh but they no wanna giveth! lol

Usually VSG self pay in the states is ~9-17K   varies by surgeon/state.
In Mejico the 2 best VSG surgeons Alvarez n Aceves ~8-9K. Some reputable others ~7K.
You never want to get the cheapest surgeons in Mexico....'you get what you pay for' ...stack the cards in your favor...when it comes to this life saving and enhancing surgery. ...research the surgeon well no matter where ya get it....here or there

Bob..are you certain your insurance policy has an EXCLUSION to bariatric surgery?   Must have that word in the policy!!  Got an online link ?  maybe post it ,we can have a looksie ,-) ....we don't wanna snoop...wanna help YOU! 
Can create a new post what your insurance is in title..maybe others here that HAVE had VSG have the same policy/group! 
Open enrollment is around the corner  ...hint hint!  might be able to opt out to another plan that doesn't exclude bariatric surgery. 

Might also wanna check out & post at the Insurance Forum too. 

The search bar is up above to right in a light blue color.  If using ..always start out your search keyword ..."VSG"  then your question will narrow things down for you.  Can look up your insurance and see if anyone got it to cover  enter  "VSG .....& name of your insurance i.e. 

Can  post on over to YOUR STATES  OH FORUM. ask about surgeons and self pay in your state too.

This is one helluva ride Bob!  VSG is saving lives...in more ways than the physical! 
        The #1 regret on this forum is...I DIDN'T DO IT SOONER....amen! 
bob-h
on 8/18/12 8:35 am - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12
I just want to say thank you to all *****plied.  This is a journey that looks to be long and knowing there are people out there that have done this is truly godsend.  Know all I have to do is make that call to get things started.  From what i have researched Dr. Pleatman is the guy to do it. Thanks again.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views