when did you try....

ajporter14
on 8/19/12 8:59 pm - gainesville , FL
....fruit, bread, pasta, sushi, rice, pork, ground beef? I know that a lot of these are full of carbs, but Id really like to have a taste just to see what happens! when were you able to do these foods? im one month out! 
anna

rhearob
on 8/19/12 9:14 pm - TN
 Not until maintenance.  There is plenty of time to try those when you complete weight loss.  Work your program right now.  Work on your head issues and getting healthy.  Work out why food has an emotional attachment for you.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/12 9:17 pm
Just wait on the carby foods. They will be there when you have finished losing. That said....

I started adding low carb fruit (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and peaches) about a month before I hit goal. And then only a few.

Pork and ground beef when I was cleared for solids. Used to love me a burger. Hate ground beef now. Sits like lead. Not big on pork these days either. It's okay, but requires lots of food lube to get it down.

Had a piece of sushi at about 5 months out. One was enough. Tried again at about 6 months out and did better with it.

Still have NOT had pasta. Am over 8 months out.
acbbrown
on 8/19/12 9:21 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I havent had any pasta in 14 months! I never thought Id live without that stuff but it has absolutely no appeal to me - that and rice. (ive had rice as part of a sushi roll but thats its). 

To the OP - you know what happens when you try it just because - you find out NOTHING happens except you like the taste and you've just started a slippery slope. You're a month out - the last thing on your mind right now should be testing the limits. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ajporter14
on 8/19/12 9:37 pm - gainesville , FL
 yeah you guys are right...I know I shouldn't but I'm just having so many cravings! I am seeing a therapist. I dint want to test my limits, I just want to know how it would go down...my Dr takes the approach of feeling satisfied without feeling deprived and at this moment I really do feel deprived! I'm one that will not stop eating fruit just because they have carbs and sugar, just going to limit the amounts. I guess I'm just curious and also worried I will never enjoy food again. 
rhearob
on 8/19/12 8:24 pm, edited 8/19/12 8:25 pm - TN
 Before using food to deal with emotions, such as feeling deprived, you need to first understand and learn o deal with those emotions.  You need to strive to get a grip on your compulsive eating and not hide behind labels like moderation, or a statement like your doctors.

The surgery only addresses a physical component of weight loss, it doesn't do anything for the mental issue.  Using food as a coping mechanism is what got most of us here in he first place.

You say you won't deny yourself fruit even though you know it's empty calories, high in sugar, and not good for your plan right now.  Why?  Why can't you go 6 months or a year without fruit for the sake of the rest of your life?  What emotional tie does that fruit have for you?  Are you using that fruit awful for your body or as an emotional tool?  

Feelings of being deprived are a trigger for a lot of us.  How much longer, do you thin****il you feel deprived of Pasta and start having Alfredo sauce!  Or until you feel deprived of Cheesecake?  As Alison said, you can justify yourself right out of any weightloss.  Just go over to the failed surgery forum.  There's a lot of moderation and not being deprived going on.

I re-read some of your other posts.  Is what you are describing here With the fruit really any different than what you did after getting to your stage 3 diet?  I would definitely incorporate some strong mental aftercare into your program if you are not already.  Are you going to support groups?  What about a counselor or therapist?

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

LadydeeNJ
on 8/20/12 4:14 am - NJ
VSG on 08/13/12
I have to admit i am 1 week post op today and i have cravings for these things also. The way im dealing with it is that Im realizing this is a time where i have to now get my head straight. The truth is that as much as I want these foods i cant have them! Thanks to my smaller stomach I now have a constant reminder that eating what im not supposed to is going to make me sick so STOP ! I havent ventured off my surgeons orders of 1/2 c of watered down cream of wheat for breakfast, 8 oz of protien shake for lunch -which i had 8 oz yesterda (day 6) and realized im totally not ready for that much, and for dinner 1/2 of low fat cream soup. I have also added my meds and vitamins which fill me up also.

What i am finding is as much as i love my doctor and his staff that after surgery the support and guidance  is very important. Im kinda winging it and i feel as if a month before the surgery the dietician handed my a pamphlet with very simple vague instructions on what to eat with no reasons why and why not to have anything else. 

So.... my advice to u is search this site for answers and ask questions. If u can follow veteran VSG's on you tube, many of them are wonderful instructors through their own personal experieces. I hope u remain on track. I hope your mind set stays strong and i hope u find people to help you to get thru each phase of this new life u are going thru. Good luck and lets try and stay accountable with one and other.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 387 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 420 views