Confused about first week post-op liquids

toniosmom
on 8/19/12 6:43 pm, edited 8/20/12 5:30 am
I saw a nutritionist at the hospital prior to surgery and wasn't crazy about her.  She seemed to be against bariatric surgery and seemed to be lecturing me.  However, she gave me a lot of information on paper that I read and filed away.  I hooked up with a new nutritionist that I like better.  She didn't give me anything on paper other than what she wrote down (pre-op, do this; week 1, do that; etc.).  She has me on clear liquids for the entire first week post-op.  

I was just reviewing the paperwork I received from the first nutritionist and she had provided me with written instructions directly from the surgeon's office.  This paper says that I can add thicker liquids as tolerated within the first two weeks post-op.  That means, right now, I should be able to have a milk-based protein shake.  If I can do that, I will definitely be able to get in all of my protein.  He also has that I can have diet pudding, hot cereals (cream of rice or wheat), low-fat cottage cheese and SF NF yogurt.  

I'm floored -- I'm starting to get cravings for different foods and here I read all along I could have had more than clear.  I've been struggling to get even 30g of protein in.  

I'm curious -- what are you all consuming within the first week post-op?  

jubjub
on 8/19/12 11:47 am, edited 8/19/12 11:47 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 Only clears for me - first 10 days.  Could have protein powder, but mixed with water after 5 days. 

Pre-op and post-op diets vary wildly from surgeon to surgeon.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

rhearob
on 8/19/12 6:49 pm - TN
 In most programs the first two weeks post op are clear liquids.  Some are 1 week clear, then two or three full liquids.  Me, I screwed up and went straight to full liquids.  I didn't read.

You want to take it VERY easy on your new tummy right now.  Its still quite pissed at you for what you did to it.  Intoduce new things as your surgeons plan allows, and do it slowly.  I always advise to treat it like introducing new foods to a baby.  You only want to introduce one at a time and then watch for acceptance.

As for your cravings - its likely head hunger and again is not all that uncommon.  This is a good time to start your mental aftercare and try to work through those cravings.  A lot of people get hooked on the food network or cooking channel during this time.  They feed the cravings vicariously.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Svz2012
on 8/19/12 6:51 pm - OH
 I am still pre-op, but my surgeon instructions (Cleveland clinic) is to have clear liquids while in the hospital and then full liquids for 2 weeks once home. Full liquids include milk, milk based protein shakes, but no yogurt, those are mushies for week 3. 
Feystorm
on 8/19/12 6:54 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I was on clear liquids only while in the hospital.  After that I was on full liquids once I was home. 

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/12 7:10 pm
I was only on clear liquids in the hospital. Once out of the hospital (on day three) I was allowed full liquids. On day 10 (I think, but can't remember without looking it up) I was allowed to add sugar free, fat free pudding and yogurt and purees. On day 14 was allowed to add ONE soft food per day until I was about 3 and a half weeks to a month out. Then it was adding solids one at a time.

Pinkone
on 8/19/12 8:18 pm - Des Moines, IA
VSG on 08/13/12
Tomorrow is my one-week mark, and I left the hospital Wednesday on a full liquid diet for two weeks. I'm expecting to move to pureed after two weeks of liquids.

My problem is that I sometimes drink too much too fast. Not gulp, just sip, sip, sip fast and 12 oz is gone quickly. Didn't think I'd even be able to do that! It worries me a bit....
Tracey    
jolenecsky
on 8/19/12 8:33 pm - Franklin, KY
VSG on 08/15/12
Post-op, my doctor has me on 1 week of clear liquids, and then the 2nd week I get to move to full liquids. It doesn't bother me to stay on clears. My tummy seems to be VERY angry with me, and I certainly don't want to upset it anymore than it already is. Tomorrow I am going to try getting some protein in. (New Whey liquid protein)

DOS: 8/15/12

Wildcat-NYC
on 8/19/12 9:13 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 I'm on thin liquids for 2-3 weeks.  Anything that would go through a straw...

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
merry1
on 6/10/13 8:59 am - Canada

I am 5 days post op.  I have to have 60-80g protein - i got isolated whey protein.  This is two shakes that are almost 1 cup each.  I mix my vitamins into it - 1200mg calcium, vitD, B12, and 2 multis.  So I have a shake in the morning and one in the afternoon.  When I get up I can have really runny poridge which is mix with a Tsp Applesauce.  Then I get cream soup, strained.  I am also allowed pudding, cottage cheese, no sugar added ice cream.  I serve them to myself in little Japanese tea cups which hold about 1/2 cup.  I am trying to keep my spirits up with the protein shakes, they are not very tasty but necessary.  Also try tomatoe juice, no sugar added - I also get that in my Japanese tea cup and I add some Worcester sauce.  The flavour is perfect. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views