Hair Loss and a question

saraw79
on 8/20/12 5:53 pm - MI
VSG on 05/07/12
 A little update.. Im 3 months and 2 weeks post op... I went from 224 and i am 173 now.. (51 pounds i think)

I have been losing lots of hair.. when i brush or when i run my fingers through it.. and i know its alot thinner...

my roots need touched up on my hair and im scared to death to get it done. im affraid the chemicals will make me bald...

Anyone else go through this? and will i be ok? lol
Pre op diet 224
Surgery day 212
month 1 to 2 i lost 9.6 pounds
month 2 to 3 i lost 7 pounds
month 3 to 4 i lost 6.2

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 8/20/12 10:59 am, edited 8/20/12 11:01 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 I heard around 4 months is when we start to lose hair for a bit. I am sooo dreading that stage. My opinion, would just to chill on the color.... May be too harsh for it? 

Bufflehead
on 8/20/12 6:22 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13
Check out products like nanogen, xfusion, or toppik -- you can buy them online (Amazon, Ebay, try googling) or your hair dresser may have something similar. They are tiny little microscopic hair fibers that you shake into your hair to thicken it. You buy a color that matches your hair color, so you can use it both to thicken thinning hair and to do a quick touch up on your roots without chemical treatment.
I have really thinning hair (and I am pre-op) and I use this stuff everyday. It's the only thing that makes me feel relatively confident about my hair. If you do decide to buy it, keep in mind that all you really need is the little canister of fibers, not any extra sprays or applicators they might try to sell you. You just shake it into your hair, pat down and smooth your hairline a bit with your fingertips, and then apply any hairspray. Also, it seems like most people end up needing a shade lighter than they thought when looking at color selections online, so you might keep that in mind or order a couple of different colors.
youtu.be/3BnjnFASa0Q
this is a link to a nanogen promotional video. Hope this is okay -- I am not some sort of paid spokesperson, I just think they are really good products that can help a lot of people.
jessicae
on 8/20/12 6:32 pm
 i started losing hair around 3 months out, it really picked up around 5 months and pretty much stopped around 6 months.  occasionally i will still get some loss but its minimal.  you'll be fine!  up your protein if you can and take Biotin (can get sublingual).  

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

KELLY H.
on 8/20/12 6:45 pm - Greenbrier, TN
VSG on 12/26/12
 This scares me so bad! My hair is my only vanity,  only thing that I am proud of (thick and to my waist) and the thought of losing it or having to cut it because it gets so thin terrifies me!   
moonglo82
on 8/20/12 7:09 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
The hair that you are losing now is already dead. It died as a result of the shock of the surgery, or, according to some surgeons, a lack of protein or certain vitamins. No one seems to be able to pin point the exact cause of the hair loss, but there is nothing you can do at this point to stop it.

The good news is that coloring your hair will NOT make the shedding worse. The hair is coming out because of stress it went through several months ago. Nothing you do now will improve it or make it worse.

Many find that the shedding stars around month 3-4 and stops around month 5-6, and then you'll gradually notice regrowth. It will come back, but you'll have to be patient.

Keep up the great work

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

mauigirl2
on 8/20/12 7:15 pm - kihei, HI
I lost alot of hair with both of my babies... it all grew back and I was the only one who noticed.  I have not started to lose any hair yet but I expect I most likely will.

newme2011-2012
on 8/20/12 9:09 pm
I haven't lost any hair. Guess I just got Lucky..
Having color done will do nothing to make it fall out. It actually can make it feel thicker. I am a hairdresser. And would color someones hair with no problem in your situation..
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Sabrina_in_NOLA
on 8/21/12 5:58 am
I lost a good bit of hair between month 4 and 7, and now I have 3 inches of regrowth everywhere. It's actually kind of funny as it comes back so just take it in stride and let it be a part of your life changing experience. Good luck.

BariBariHappy
on 8/21/12 12:07 pm - MI
Never had any problems with hair loss. Kept going to the Salon, kept getting color, etc. I did have a little bit of breakage BUT nothing because I take my vitamins twice a day as well as eat my vitamins. Also I get in a lot of protein. I think those things help a lot. 
   HW: 291 • SW: 260 • CW: 196 • GW: 145            

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 262 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views