Heart Rate Monitor recommendations?!?!

ametzger
on 8/21/12 9:03 am - MI
VSG on 04/23/12
Going to splurge and get the hubby and I heart rate monitors since we have been exercising more. Can anyone recommend an accurate one that works well for a decent price?

Mom4Jazz
on 8/21/12 9:06 am

The Polars are the best, but they run $100 to $120 depending on the model unless you can find them on sale.

Try to get one with a cloth chest band (not plastic). I thought the chest band would be awful, but not so much. The ones that are just a watch you have to keep touching the sensors which is hard to do in mid exercise.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

vogue
on 8/21/12 9:06 am
VSG on 08/30/12
whatever one you get, be sure to get one with a chest monitor...
the Polar brand comes with high recommendations ( Model # FT07 I think is the least expensive) ... the model I have is discontinued but it also had a GPS function...
happymom80
on 8/21/12 12:51 pm - MO
VSG on 03/05/12
 The Polar ones are the best...if you're going to splurge go for that. I didn't have that money to splurge with and I got a Mio Drive+ petite like the one the trainers at my gym use (well, except those who have a Polar device).  It's a watch design. It works pretty well...occassional discrepencies...but overall it has worked very well and I am very satisfied with it. I get an accurate heart rate reading pretty much every time I do it...you use your thumb and forefinger to get the heart rate. 

I tried another (cheaper) one, but sent it back b/c it didn't take the heart rate well and only worked at random times. 

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views