The best two years of my life

diane S.
on 8/24/12 10:40 am
Support group is tomorrow and I was thinking about being at my goal weight for close to two years now and what I am going to do today etc. I suddenly realized that these past two years may well be the best two years of my life so far! 

I was a fat child and stuggled with weight and the stigma of it all through my career and younger years. Ten years ago I had stress related health problems (of which obesity was one) and I decided to quit my business world job and pursue my lifelong dream of being an artist. Somehow I thought I would be able to lose weight if I was free of the stressful business world and had more time to be active. But somehow the weight kept adding up and got in the way of my artwork to some extent and I just felt my health spriraling downward. Then I learned about wls and the vsg and for the first time in my life I am a normal weight adult.

Now that this weight is gone I can do my artwork (which is somewhat physical) without the limitations of weight and really feel for the first time I am living life to the fullest. Yeah life has the usual bumps and pitfalls but today I am stuck by how immensly better life is without the weight and how much it enables me to live my dream. No matter what happens in the future I am so blessed to have this time where I am healthy, unencumbered by weight, and able to do all the activities I want.   Life without excess weight is truly joyous.

So if you are on the fence about this or are in a difficult phase of the journey, keep pushing ahead. It is so worth it.

Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

mimij
on 8/24/12 10:50 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12
Wow, your post really speaks to me Diane. I do not have a surgery date but expect I will be having surgery in about a month. I completed all requirements and have insurance approval. Am seeing the surgeon to sign consents and ask final questions next week.  I go thru the normal back and forth in my head. Pros and cons, right vs wrong, difficulties, compromises, etc,
I appreciate your thoughts. I am so happy to hear you are happy with your decision almost 3 yrs out and that you are having great success maintaining healthy weight. Thanks and best wishes to you.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

June W.
on 8/24/12 10:56 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
 I dream of the day that I'll have been at goal for two years. Someday! I am pushing past a tough spot, but I am not giving up! I have just discovered the joys of running and am including physical exercise in my life for the first time in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Happy966
on 8/24/12 11:55 am

Diane, you are so right!  I have often thought I'd be able to lose the weight on my own if I didn't work, or didn't have kids, or didn't have my grandmother living with us.  Except for work, those events came and went and the eating continued unabated. 

I am not at my goal *weight* but I am at a size now where everything seems possible.  Just to masquerade as a normal-sized person!!  It has been so worth while, and your support has been invaluable!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

ThinLizzy
on 8/24/12 11:58 am
So true, Diane! Nearly every day, I have a thought about how much better life is post-VSG. I will never stop being thankful for it!

Lizanne

debk21
on 8/24/12 12:22 pm - Mansfield, TX
Thanks Diane.  Your wisdom is always profound and I could not agree more.  Congratulations on your continued success and here's to the next two years...

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

louisamay
on 8/24/12 1:45 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
Thank you so much for sharing this.  it's so helpful to see people who have made this journey so successfully.

Congratulations and may your life continue to be healthy and happy!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

full-of-hopen
on 8/24/12 2:13 pm
Diane, you are such an inspiration; thank you for continuing to provide input and advice on this board....I'm only one month post op and feel that this time I will make it with the help of my sleeve and "new thinking" about my relationship with food-- looking forward to having a healthy life.......
diane S.
on 8/24/12 6:38 pm
welcome to a new life. it will just get better and better as the pounds drip away. put a lot of thought into new attitudes. will serve you well.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 

frisco
on 8/24/12 2:20 pm

Diane......

I coulda wrote this verbatim..... except yours came out much better !!!!

Life is pretty great as a normie !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op