this is gonna take forever!-rant (a little long)

skinny cat
on 8/25/12 5:51 am
VSG on 01/08/13
 So I started this in May (actually March, but that's another story). I knew it would take awhile. My docotor's comment was "the faster you get everything done, the faster you can have the surgery". Well, he requires the whole shebang-dietitian, psych, sleep study, endo, cardiologist, pulmonologist, abd ultrasound, chest xray etc. 
It took me from the beginning of May until now to complete the sleep study, psych and one dietitian visit due to waits to get appts. I called their office to make a "mid way appt" so I could get my referrals for the rest and they can't get me in for another 3 WEEKS! I had called earlier in the month to see if I could at least schedule it and they said not until I had finished the first part. If I have to wait another 3 weeks just to see him, wait another week for my insurance to approve the referrals, wait for however long it takes to just SCHEDULE the consults, never mind do the actual testing, then wait again to get another appt to see the docs for results, it will be another 6 months! AND my surgeon's office only offers the preop seminar once a month at the beginning of the month. I asked if I could set that up and I can't until its close to my surgery date. I know someone who had to wait another month just because they finished everything a few days after the seminar had taken place. Geesh! I was hoping to have this surgery this year, which I don't think is asking alot since I started this in May. 
My husband works in Florida (I'm in CT) and I'm waiting on moving until I have this surgery and am 1 year post op so I can have at least a year follow up with my original surgeon before moving and transferring to another doc for follow ups. At this rate, my marriage will be "weekends only" for a couple years by the time this is all over!
Thanks for letting me rant

debk21
on 8/25/12 6:48 am - Mansfield, TX
What you are saving by going through insurance, you will probably pay in two years of rent.  I would get a loan (if necessary) and do it self-pay in Florida.  JMO...I was self-pay.  I went to my first consult, was put on the fast track and had my surgery scheduled in two weeks (after months of exhaustive research, of course).  You may want to consider other options.  I had none as my insurance did not cover ANY bariatrics.  Just a thought.  Good luck Hon & {{{Hugs}}} for your tribulations.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

skinny cat
on 8/25/12 8:19 am
VSG on 01/08/13
Deb,  I AM self pay. These are requirements for my surgeon, not insurance. I was thinking of having this done in Florida but figured I would then not have any way to have follow ups since I am still in CT and have to sell my house, which will probably take 6 months or so. How much did the self pay cost you? Its going to be $16k here. 

Cac435
on 8/25/12 6:53 am
who is your surgeon in CT. I live here too.
skinny cat
on 8/25/12 8:20 am
VSG on 01/08/13
 I am going thru Midstate, Dr. Verdura. I was going to go to Dr. Aranow in Middletown but my insurance wouldn't pay for him. I originally was going thru Tricare but decided on the sleeve and they don't cover that so I am going to be self pay. How about  you?

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/12 8:13 am
Do you have issues that would indicate the need to be cleared by ALL of those doctors? My surgeon didn't even send me for a sleep study. That seems like excessive hoops unless you have heart/lung issues (I even have a mild history of asthma). I only needed to be seen by an endo (pre-diabetic), dietician, and the psych clearance.
skinny cat
on 8/25/12 8:24 am
VSG on 01/08/13
 Dr. Verdura at Midstate requires all of these for everyone (and it has to all be thru Midstate). I had a full workup, even cardiac cath, 4 months ago (I work for a cardiologist and had it all done in Middletown) and he still requires me to see a cardiologist thru Midstate. They tell you that you need all this even before they meet you so its across the board, for everyone. I wonder if its to make money since you have to do it all thru their docs (they say its so they can rely on those docs for advice during your procedure, if needed). Seems excessive to me-but this is the doc I started with and I like him so I hate to switch. Figure it will take even longer to switch now. Plus I'm self pay and I priced another doc who was a little higher. And I know someone else who had it thru Midstate and really had good things to say.

pineview01
on 8/25/12 2:45 pm - Davison, MI
Sounds like money making to me.  Ours would take any results if
within the time frame.  I did redo one test as it had been over
6 months.  Other than that, all test where good.

I'd be looking for someone else unless they already got your money.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/12 8:39 am
 If you are self-pay, it won't take more time if you switch. If you have no issues, you should only need to see a NUT and a psych, and most docs will accept the results from NUTs and psychs even if they aren't "theirs." But I understand that you hate to switch if you like him.
debk21
on 8/25/12 11:32 am - Mansfield, TX
OMG! All that stuff cuz of the doc? I just assumed it was insurance hoops. Seems excessive to me unless there are underlying issues. I paid $12,500 all inclusive. Was the best $12k I ever spent. I would research other docs if I were you. Good luck sweetie!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views