can't lose preop

skinny cat
on 8/28/12 8:32 am
VSG on 01/08/13
 I go back for my second NUT visit in 2 weeks. I have gone from NO exercise to walking about an hour almost every day. I have a protein shake for breakfast every day (have for about a year because its so quick and easy) and  I have cut back on my food but I can't lose any weight. I'm afraid they won't schedule my surgery!!

ravenbrown
on 8/28/12 8:39 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12
Is actually losing a requirement for your surgery?  It's not for mine.  I would just tell your nutritionist what you've been doing.  Are you logging calories?  Maybe have her/him look at your log and help you tweak your diet.
skinny cat
on 8/28/12 8:43 am
VSG on 01/08/13
 I'm self pay so losing weight is only a requirement of my surgeon. They say I need to lose 18 lbs for surgery and be down 10 lbs by my pre surgery appt two weeks before surgery (I don't have a date yet). I have been logging so yes, I will have her look at it. I just hope they don't put off my surgery. They want me to lose some so my liver shrinks. :(

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/28/12 1:49 am, edited 8/28/12 1:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You must be really tiny. My sis was 186 and was told to NOT lose any weight or Dr Aceves wouldn't do the surgery on her. (her BMI was 32) She's very compliant - had a series of food funerals and gained 4#.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

jarabacoagirl
on 8/28/12 8:59 am
VSG on 12/17/12
It's doesn't make sense your already so small.  I can not imagine if you lost 18lbs that they would still do surgery.  That would make you 165 lbs.   At I83 lbs I doubt you would even have a very fatty liver anyway.  Liver isn't usually so fatty with lower BMI patients.  I'd check out Dr Aceves in Mexicali since you are self pay.  I think he would let you do what ever you want.  It sound strange this other doctor is requiring you to loose all that weight at only 183lbs.  My docor recommends I loose weight but doesn't require it and I'm 297 lbs and really should loose weight before surgery to make it safer for shrink my liver and such.  I'm so stressed too about the surgery that I haven't lost any weight.  :-(. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

Cinderella50
on 8/28/12 9:22 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
Well, I don't know about having to lose to get teh surgery, but I will say that my 2 week liquid only diet has gotten me down 20lbs. I didn't have to lose any weight, just shrink my liver.

So if you really want to lose it, just drink the shakes and other liquids with no food. I don't see how that wouldn't work.

synthangel
on 8/28/12 9:36 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
 Im pretty sure eating low carb will shrink your liver if that is the main concern. Or the all liquid diet as suggested above.

I also am not losing any weight on the preop but Im not trying that hard. I am trying to induldge on stuff I can still have before the surgery. So I lose and regain like 6-8 lbs over and over again. LOL :) 

skinny cat
on 8/28/12 9:36 am
VSG on 01/08/13
 That's what I figure. If I do the shakes before surgery, I should lose weight in my 5 day preop diet. But I'm just afraid because they say their patients MUST be at least 10 lbs lighter at the preop visit and I specifically asked because when I was going to go thru insurance, I was afraid they wouldn't pay because I would be under a BMI of 35. The doctor's nurse told me it is their policy that we must lose weight for our own safety. I'm still about 2 or 3 months away from surgery because I still need to see the cardiologist, pulmonologist and GI doc and do the ultrasound, chest xray, endo before surgery so I'd hate to start the shakes now and either lose weight and have to stay on shakes for 2 months, or lose the weight and gain it back after stopping the shakes. Oh, I hate this. I wish I had one of those docs who sends you right for surgery after the NUT and psych. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 433 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views