Hurricane Preparedness for VSG

Evymetalmommy
on 8/27/12 7:37 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
It's inevitable living in Louisiana that we have to get hit from time to time.  Turns out this is our turn.  So in case anyone else is wondering what a VSG patient would need during times like these....Here is what I have. 

Water.  It's hot down here...even more so with no a/c.  Stay hydrated.

RTD Protien shakes.  Not my favorite BUT it will get the job done.

Canned goods.  Now in the past we had Chef boy-r-dee.  This time I have a variety of tuna and chicken. 

Vitamins!!  Have them handy so you don't have to dig around for them in the dark.

Of course you should probably have the other normal things to be ready BUT these are the things I think I absolutey needed to have handy. 

LOL
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

sledge
on 8/27/12 7:40 am
Good luck to you.    I went down to New Orleans for six weeks after Katrina to help with mental health needs....my goodness I cannot imagine what it must be like to see another storm coming after that disaster.   I will be sending you positive thoughts....... 

HW: 406; Cons W: 348; start of pre op diet:320; Surgery Weight: 299; CW: 218;
Surgery 8/21/12

Here I come, Life.

Evymetalmommy
on 8/27/12 7:45 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
I should be fine where I am.  We are definitely going to feel it but we don't have to worry about surge here. It's always scary to see something like this come at you.  I think what is really getting to people is the media keeps pointing out that if the storm slows down just a tad it will hit on the 7th anniversay of Katrina.  It's gone crazy down here already.  Most gas stations are out of gas.  No water or basic staples to be found.  I'm glad we always keep a stack of water because I seem to have issues drinking tap water.  

I'm hoping that all the work they have done to make us better prepared for hurricanes holds up. 

jenngirl
on 8/27/12 7:47 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Good luck! I hope you don't have to use the VSG Hurricane plan, but if you do, I hope you and yours are safe. I am glad you are thinking ahead of the storms!! Better now, than after!!
julyxo84
on 8/27/12 1:04 am, edited 8/27/12 1:04 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 Hope it doesn't get too bad over there. All I got was rain and a little wind.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

jacreasy
on 8/27/12 9:55 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 Good Luck, In my prayers!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Pinkone
on 8/27/12 2:09 pm - Des Moines, IA
VSG on 08/13/12
Good luck! Sounds like you have it all down and covered the basics. Now, go and get your batteries, flashlights, candles, matches, toilet paper and ice chest ready!! I'm a Biloxi native, and I was just telling my husband today what it was like going through a few hurricanes, doing the prep and all!
Tracey    
bluejeanbaby75
on 8/27/12 2:44 pm - LA
I m in baton rouge and I bought what you did. The thing that gets us is the wind. wind blows, trees fall (or limbs) and out goes the power and then it takes forever for power to come back on, so then it s super hot. UGH!! Stores are already running out of water and gas is hard to find. Good luck to you.
Evymetalmommy
on 8/28/12 7:01 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
I'm in Denham!!  So I'm avoiding going out at all costs right now.  Yesterday I got to fight the traffic to get to BRCC for my night class to discover my professor didn't think she should show up.  I'm just glad I got everything together I may need in advance.

bluejeanbaby75
on 8/29/12 10:30 am - LA
evy, do you tend to stress eat? i am finding that i am eating peanut butter crackers just to munch on something while waiting on this hurricane to move. we still have power thank God, but the wind is rough. I'm losing pretty slow already= 24 lbs. after 8 weeks, but I feel better even though the weight loss is slow. We live in central, even though our address is baton rouge. hope you are doing well
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 375 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 414 views