PCOS (cysts) and the sleeve

saraw79
on 9/4/12 4:30 pm - MI
VSG on 05/07/12
 On Friday i will be 4 months post Op...

Before i was taking metformin for PCOS (i got cysts and it caused weight gain) 

Well i have been off the meds for 4 months now... It seems this month I got cysts.. I can feel them and im VERY crampy down there....

So my question is.. Do you think i should take the metformin for the PCOS?

My doc said i didn't need it like 3 months ago (my family doc) But i don't know if i have much faith in her anymore.. and wondered if anyone else has gone through pcos and what to do..

Pre op diet 224
Surgery day 212
month 1 to 2 i lost 9.6 pounds
month 2 to 3 i lost 7 pounds
month 3 to 4 i lost 6.2

BIGGY
on 9/4/12 4:39 pm - Tulsa, OK
VSG on 07/24/12
I use to take metformin but stopped since surgery. Cant wait to see what others doctors are telling them.

HW:375 (04/02/12) 
SW:339 (07/
24/12)
CW:244 (11/13/14)

saraw79
on 9/4/12 5:06 pm - MI
VSG on 05/07/12
my family doc said i wouldn't need it since my levels looked good (blood work) But if im getting cysts still... I wonder if i need it... ugh
Pre op diet 224
Surgery day 212
month 1 to 2 i lost 9.6 pounds
month 2 to 3 i lost 7 pounds
month 3 to 4 i lost 6.2

ShapeShifting
on 9/4/12 6:01 pm - FL
I never took anything for my PCOS. My cysts come and go, and I feel the pain for a few days, then the pain goes away. I have to say that I find the pain tolerable and more like a discomfort... if you are doubled over in pain, consider calling your PCP or GYN to discuss.
Antimony40
on 9/4/12 6:41 pm - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with
Metformin is a medicine that is 1) for a condition that needs to be monitored by a doctor, 2) can be dangerous if taken and not monitored, and 3) often takes a month to level up/out in your blood so that the medicine is effective and you feel the effects (less fatigue, smaller or non-existent cysts). 

You stopped taking in 4 months ago, and you have discomfort/cramping that appear to you to be cyst.  It is something to watch, but not something to start taking medicine that your doctor has said you don't need for a chronic problem--if it happens a few months in a row, make an appointment to go see the doctor + some blood work and an ultrasound of your cysts.

JMHO.
lucy2e
on 9/4/12 7:09 pm - Laurel, MD
I would suggest you talk with an endocrynologist.  They would best be able to make a recommendation on what would be best to treat your PCOS - especially if you are still getting cysts.  Maybe a ultrasound to confirm what you are feeling is cysts and not something else.

Good luck! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

stephintexas
on 9/4/12 7:23 pm
The symptoms went away for me initially and didn't return for a few months. I am not sure why. I saw my ob/gyn today and he wants me either back on the metformin or committed to exercise daily. Well, that was a no brainer. The metformin makes me horribly depressed. I have a cyst on my right ovary and my chin hair is growing in abundance. That also might explain my slow weight loss. It's a cycle...you lose, it gets better...then some symptoms will return and more loss make them go away. From what my dr told me today, the more you lose the better. However, the more you have to lose, the tougher the insulin resistance.  If you DO opt for the metformin, I'd make sure they give you a form that your body can absorb. Also, I'd ask if exercising instead is an option.

The body needs to lose the weight to handle the insulin issues that result from the PCOS but the insulin issues fight the loss. Thank God for the sleeve.

moonglo82
on 9/4/12 7:31 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Honestly, being crampy down there could be strictly hormonal and not related to cysts at all. Taking metformin without being sure that you need it can cause you to suffer unnecessarily from the side effects while your body readjusts and might even cause other problems.

My suggestion: call your gyno and let him or her make that decision. They may want to do an ultrasound and more blood work to make sure everything checks out before having you take any medication.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

PGelle
on 9/4/12 7:48 pm - PA
VSG on 08/14/12
I have PCOS too. Was the metformin perscribed for the cysts or for insulin issues? At least for me, it was my birthcontrol that controlled my cysts. If you're not sure, definitely call your doctor. Your medication level could have changed with your smaller stomach.

NewtoYou
on 9/4/12 8:47 pm
VSG on 09/10/12
Hi there!  Hope you don't mind if I pop in here!   Long time PCOSer here too and lots of studying on IF issues, ovulation and cycling.    I would wager to guess that part of this pain could be due to ovulation, corpu****eum and such.  Not all cysts requrire met, especially if this is a one of cycle and not the norm for you now.  

Hold off, you could even try Birth control if you aren't TTC to shrink any cysts that remain after your next shedding.  (af). 

Good luck!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views