Get Your Protein In - Friendly Advice

SoSoHappy
on 9/5/12 10:24 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12

After surgery, I had a very hard time eating anything.  My protein intake was about 30 grams a days.  This lasted until about 2 1/2 months out.  After that, I barely got 45-50 grams of protein in until about 3 1/2 months out.  Here is the issue . . . MAJOR hair loss at 4 months out.  I am told that my lack of protein caught up to me (hair is made of protein) and that is why I am losing it.  Thankfully, I had lots of hair to start with, but it is thinning rapidly.

Friendly advice to all those people who think it will not happen to them . . . EAT YOUR PROTEIN.  You may also want to start taking biotin right away (although I don't know if it is having any effect although it is supposed to.)  Biotin comes in a tiny pill that dissolves under your tongue in seconds.   The hair loss thing is causing me so much stress.  I am hoping this post will save some others from the misery I am experiencing.  A common joke in my house is that I will be a thin bald person.  As more hair comes out, I am not thinking it is too funny anymore.

hwag5149
on 9/5/12 10:33 am
Unfortunately, it'**** or miss with hair loss. People get in tons of protein and still lose their hair by the ****loads. I will say this though, get your protein in because I wasn't diligent about it starting at about 5-6 months out and even though I'm carrying 135 less pounds, it's hard for me to carry a 40 pound bag up the stairs and I feel a strain in my legs just carrying myself up. I'm weak as hell and I know it. When I say I'm weak, I mean weak. My muscle mass is non existent. Forget the hair, get your protein in so you don't die. Just saying.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

SoSoHappy
on 9/5/12 10:39 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12
I wonder if that is why I feel weaker and having weird pains in my hips and legs.  I am on track now and meeting my protein/water/vitamin goals.  I just wish someone had stressed the importance of protein to me from the beginning.  Maybe I would have tried harder.
loverofcats
on 9/5/12 10:42 am
Strength training will help to preserve your lean muscle mass and as you are able to eat more, you may also gain more muscle. Unfortunately, loss of lean muscle mass goes along with losing fat. When our bodies do not receive enough protein and nutrition from our diets, the body will burn up the muscle for fuel.

Strength training has really, really helped med to decrease my flat butt and I actually have some muscle mass in my rear. When I first started weight training at the beginning of my 4th post-op month, I couldn't do one sit-up or pushup. Within a few months, I was doing quite a few sit-ups and some full push-ups. Now, after 1.5 years, I am so much stronger and I am able to participate in many more activities.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

SoSoHappy
on 9/5/12 10:56 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12
Thanks for the tip.  I actually noticed today that I have completely lost my butt.  In pants it looks ok but naked - blahhhh.  Good thing clothes were invented.  LOL  I need to work on getting my booty back. 
loverofcats
on 9/5/12 11:37 am
Squats, lunges, walking up hills, leg presses, stair climbing, hamstring curls, etc., will all help to build some muscle in your booty. It will take some time, but it can happen, if you are consistent and use heavier weights and a higher elevation on the treadmill as you progress. I still have the lower droopiness that no amount of weight training will fix, but it is so much better than when I started. Good luck to you!!
     "          

loverofcats
on 9/5/12 10:38 am
The hair loss is due to the phenomena of: telogen effluvium due the stress of the surgery. It will happen regardless of your protein intake, although, getting in protein is important for hair regrowth. Some people have more hair loss than others and will slow down, as your weight loss slows down.
     "          

SoSoHappy
on 9/5/12 10:40 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12
Interesting . . my doctor said my was caused by low protein intake (primarily) coupled with Iron and vitamin C deficiency.
loverofcats
on 9/5/12 10:48 am
The initial shock is due to the surgery and the rapid weight loss adds to it. The factors that your doctor mentioned also contribute to hair loss, especially when you are further out, which is why your labs should be monitored.
     "          

ib40
on 9/5/12 12:14 pm
It absolutely can be caused by protein malnutrition. I have had plenty of surgeries over the years and nothing made my hair fall out like VSG has. My protein intake was not what it could have been and it shows. I have made a concerted effort to up my protein intake and my hair is starting to grow back. I have "fuzzy head" now as my new growth sticks out along my hairline, part, etc. Thank God it's coming back in. I was sweating it there for awhile.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 461 views