No excercise?!?!?

Marena G.
on 9/7/12 2:20 pm - LA
VSG on 07/16/12
So I was getting into my routine of walking the treadmill 30 minutes in the am  and 30 in the pm but my foot/heel start to bother me.  I went to to the doctor on Wednesday and I injured the tendons on above my heel.  I have to rest it for two weeks, I also have to wear a boot when I sleep and when I walk.  Sooooooo is it possible to drop weight without exercising.

I was really enjoying my walking time.

Marioksig
on 9/7/12 2:33 pm - Santa Clara, CA
Yes, just be even more mindfull of calorie intake.... if you belong to a gym they often have hand pedal bikes that allow you to do carido with no stress the your legs.... or if your doctor clears you  for swimming that might work as well.

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

Italian-Princess
on 9/7/12 3:39 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Marena

Yes, you definitely can continue to lose weight without exercising.  It will probably be slower, though.

If you don't have access to a fitness center/gym, you can still do some exercises.  A gallon jug holds 8 pounds of water..........a half gallon holds 4 pounds.  You can use them as weights and workout doing arm exercises.  You can also use cans of food -- note the weight of them so you get maximum burn when possible.  There is a television show on PBS that is called Sit and Be Fit.  I think that's the right name.  Anyway, you can do most of the exercises from that because you rarely put any pressure on your feet/ankles -- except for a few exercise.  If you have bands, you can do other types of exercises.  Just try to move as much as you can -- it all helps.

I hope you feel better soon.  It sucks to get into a routine of exercising and then have the rug pulled out from you.  Two weeks isn't too bad -- take care of yourself and do what you can.

Good luck............

Ree
MuttLover
on 9/7/12 6:16 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
 Welcome to my world!  I'm pre-op, two weeks from a big Mediterranean vacation -- and have the lovely knee-high storm trooper boot for my Achilles tendonitis.  The doc says the boot gets to come with me on vacation too!  Lovely!

My PT says anything that doesn't use/bother my Achilles is fine for exercise (and it's pretty well protected with the boot on!).  So the hand pedaling thing, weight lifting (seated), any of the machines for abs or upper body should be OK.

Also -- make sure to wear a shoe on the other foot that is as close as possible to the height of your boot.  Otherwise, your gait is also off and can affect your hips and knees.

Yep, as others have mentioned, you can lose weight without exercising, but there are still some exercise options open to you -- just be very careful -- and Rest, Ice and Elevate!

Good luck!
Feystorm
on 9/7/12 7:16 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Hi Marena.

Yes it is possible.  I have been on exercise restriction for months - starting with soon after I was initially released to full exercise.  I can only do yoga and walking - nothing strenous or cardio.  I can swim in the pool, but even then have to stretch first.  It is totally possible to lose weight after the sleeve - but you have to watch your calories, carbs and protein intake.  Basically, I feel that is part of why I am so strict with myself.  I feel bad that I can't exercise and I am determined not to miss my opportunity to lose.  I would say to follow your doctor's advise, just keep track (if you don't already) of your intake and be diligent.  Once you heal - you can get back on your walk.  I hope you heal soon.  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Marena G.
on 9/7/12 7:40 pm - LA
VSG on 07/16/12
Thanks for the wonderful advice and suggestions.  Definitely going to use all these different alternatives starting tomorrow!!! 

Love yall my OH family
njhanibal
on 9/8/12 7:01 pm, edited 9/9/12 2:48 am - Hightstown, NJ
VSG on 06/13/12
Haven't exercised since my surgery date. Down 71 lbs and not at 3 months yet.........................

INgirl
on 9/9/12 11:01 am
Weight loss is mostly diet.. so you can do fine as long as you keep things in line. Exercise is great for mental health, heavy weight lifting is fantastic for metabolism and weight loss.. but unless you are really working hard at serious intense training, it really comes down to diet. You will be able to get back to walking in no time- rest & heal up that foot!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views