Coffee during puréed?

red42897
on 9/9/12 7:53 am
VSG on 08/20/12
 Surgeons office is closed- can we drink coffee on puréed stage?

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

Could_It_Be
on 9/9/12 7:56 am
 Caffeine was a no no on my plan for the first couple of months. I tried decaf coffee early on and it was too harsh for tiny tum as well. 

I can sure put it away now :)

VSG on 6/22/11
momzy2ncec
on 9/9/12 8:08 am
VSG on 07/17/12
my plan allowed for one cup of coffee at 2 weeks
jtshack
on 9/9/12 8:12 am - SC
VSG on 08/28/12
The plans are all so different for each of us. My plan doesn't allow caffeine until 8 weeks. I would suggest if you feel that you  need it to try it...SLOWLY. Take a few sips and see how your tummy reacts. But I would encourage you to try decaf. It's my understanding that caffeine has an effect on your healing process and your tummy can take up to 12 weeks to completely heal. You certainly don't want to hinder your healing, but if you're craving coffee, maybe decaf will do the tric****il your body is more fully ready for the caffeine.

~ Tracey from SC ~ VSG on 8/28/2012 with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana

Start - 250 ~ Surgery - 218 ~ Current - 145

Kelly-AnneH
on 9/9/12 8:15 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I had "special dispensation" starting 6 days out but I was careful to not abuse it. I started with 1/2 cup and checked with Fred every few sips. He never objected as long as I kept my sips reasonable.

I now have a cup of regular first thing in the morning, another in mid afternoon and a cup of decaf in the evening. Since I use a large mug that adds up to a litre of water I'd have to get in in another (possibly less enjoyable) fashion.

The "coffee is an evil dehydrating beast" has been disproved. The only real concern is if the acid is a problem for you. If it isn't, enjoy!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/12 8:58 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
As you may have gathered, some can tolerate and some can't.  It's on some surgeon's approved plans but not others.

I couldn't tolerate it early on with the the band but can with the sleeve.  I'll be three weeks out with the sleeve tomorrow.

I would proceed with great caution.  If you use milk in your coffee, you might want to switch to Lactaid or some other brand of lactose-free milk as many become (at least temporarily) lactose intolerant with sleeve surgery.  If you already have gotten past this hurdle with the milk, disregard.

Good luck.
bfvmg
on 9/9/12 10:23 am
VSG on 08/27/12
I am two weeks post op.
They "Discouraged" cofeine, and banned carbonation.

I have had total about 1 cup of coffee since the surgery, mainly to help with my Coke Zero addiction

Tolerated well, but could not drink an entire cup, it just didnt taste well, and wasnt easy to finish (So I didnt fini****)

Like it has been said, its going to be different for every person.
dreams2live
on 9/9/12 10:43 am
VSG on 08/21/12
My surgeon's guideline was at the pureed stage you could have decaf. After 3 months you could go back to regular coffee if your tummy tolerated it.
I am really missing my coffee- I even stopped about 3 weeks prior to the surgery...still miss it:-)

Pobearsam7
on 9/9/12 10:59 am
You should call ur doctor during business hrs and follow what they tell u about what liquids they recommend at different stages. You can't rely on what is posted on this forum

Kelly                

red42897
on 9/9/12 12:39 pm
VSG on 08/20/12
 Thanks so much!

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 250 views