First day of liver shrinking diet and freaking a little!

mycheeka1
on 9/14/12 6:02 pm
 I am scheduled for surgery on September 24 and I started my liver shrinking diet today. It has been a bit of a shock. I don't like the taste of the protein shakes. Anyone have any suggestions about shakes? I am committed to having this surgery but it is going to suck for a while I can see. I already can't wait for next September. Needing to vent. Anyone else getting sleeved around the same time as me?
NeedsSleep
on 9/14/12 6:17 pm - IL
VSG on 09/20/12
Today is my first day too and so far, so good!  I used chocolate Muscle Milk, cut it with skim milk because it's too chocolatly, added ice and whipped it up in a blender.  To me, it tastes JUST like a McDonald's shake!

I hope you can find something you like!

foolishgrrl_1
on 9/15/12 7:52 am
VSG on 03/11/13
Just an FYI in case you weren't aware.  My nutritionist advised not to drink too many Muscle Milk RTD's because they have just under the the allowed limit of lead to be approved by FDA.  If you have one every so often it isn't a big deal, but if you are drinking 1-2 per day, you will be getting over the reccomended/allowable limit of lead. 

She did say that the powdered Muscle Milk did not have that issue and was fine though.  Isopure has clear fruit drinks that you can dilute in water (they are very strong tasting).  In the event you need a ready to drink supplement for ease.  Good luck to you both on your journey!

~H.
rrrrickster
on 9/14/12 6:17 pm
VSG on 09/05/12
I know you do not want to hear this...but...pls do not take this as a diet.  Pls take this as a new way of life...something you will need to do to succeed with the surgery.  The surgery is not a magic cure-all; it is just a tool...which is effective only if you combine with a new way of life of eating/choosing and being active.

Yes, the shakes are something you need to develop a taste for...just like wine :-)
Personally, i did not develop a taste for the powdered variety...tried 2 sources (incd TJ).  What i worked fine with was the Pure Protien readymade shakes...and i have 1-2 a day (now for about 2 months) instead of a meal (one per)...these are available online, and at Trader Joes.  Also, heard that Costco shakes are good.

BTW, my doctor set me a goal of 10% body weight loss before the surgery would be scheduled.  It took me 20 month to get to a point of seriousness...that i really wanted to do this, and was committed to it (i was scared as my Sugars spiked and they wanted me to start on insulin).  From that point of seriousness, i lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks...and was sleeved promptly.

Its a journey....a marathon...not a sprint.  You have taken the brave first steps....pls keep at it....

Best of luck

lisa2job
on 9/14/12 6:22 pm - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
Try alot of different brands of shakes they are all so different.    I ordered some samples on line of a few types. plus some you can buy samples in GNC ......   my favorite is the premier shakes only the chocolate flavor.  I also like some of the syntax fruit flavors........  note that  they also have the unflavored poweder you can put in crystal light or other beverages / food .   I found that it doesnt change the flavor too much and is duable when I just need to get more protien in.   its important to find something you like or can tolerate cause after surgery you are also on liquid diet. for an additional two weeks  and  when you start to eat  your intake of food will be so little for months you may have to do shakes if you cant get enough protien in. 
Hope ths helps
itshowiroll
on 9/14/12 11:47 am, edited 9/14/12 11:47 am
I really like the Unjury the best out of the ones I have tried.  I have it in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla, plus chicken broth.  What is hard for me post-op, is I am not allowed anything other than room temp fluids.  I want something cold!  But I will follow doctors orders...
theshrinkingmimi
on 9/14/12 6:52 pm
I used unjury powder with crystal light. I made drinks- not shakes.  I think I did unflavored and strawbery with lemonade and fruit punch crystal light.  I also did their chicken broth flavor mixed with organic chicken broth to have a savory flavor.  At the time, Unjury was the only thing that didn't make me gag.

Now, I occasionally drink Pure Protein ready made shakes.  They are not thick frothy shakes. 
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Sarah W.
on 9/14/12 7:21 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
 My doctors pamphlet actually called it a preop liver reduction diet too. This is day 2 and the headache is crazy today.

I read a lot on here about the liquid phase and the ways to shake up the shakes. Toriani SF syrups, unflavored protein that you can put in any liquid, and sample packs so you're not committed to a whole tub. Can't really go wrong with vanilla tho.

Good luck!

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

Rouxful
on 9/14/12 8:09 pm
 I'm sorry to sound like the troublemaker, but liquid diets are bull**** My surgical team's NUT told me a secret: they only want you on liquids so that you won't fall into your cravings while trying to stay within the parameters of the diet itself. I asked my surgical team if I could just eat SOLID proteins, like lean chicken breasts, tofu, fish, etc. They said it was great, as long as I kept my net carbs under 30g per day. The whole goal of this diet is to lower your glycemic index in order to remove fatty deposits in your liver so that your stomach is more accessible during laporoscopic surgery. Why does it matter whether you are getting your protein through a straw or on a fork? 

Eggs, chicken, cheese, tofu, tuna salad, edamame, salad with lowfat dressing, Greek yogurt with Crystal Lite...If those sound more manageable, I'd encourage you to give your doctor a call and ask what they think. I'm not a doctor, but I do know that if I had the willpower to drink oversweetened sludge for two weeks I wouldn't need to have my stomach pulled out. 

That's Rouxful's $0.02

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

mycheeka1
on 9/14/12 9:18 pm
 Thank you guys so much for all the advice. I appreciate it. It is  amazing how things can change in 1 day. lots of good advice. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views