Science behind hair loss?

Stacie B.
on 9/19/12 10:34 am - Charlotte, NC
 I am about 9 months post-op and have been losing my hair for several months now without any evidence of it getting better. I am sick of it!! I have been taking my vitamins. Multi, calcium, iron, biotin, fish oil, and others. I am pretty sure I am getting in my protein although I don't track it.

When I first had the surgery, my hairdresser suggested that hair loss is due to the anastesia, but I can't imagine that is the cause after all this time. Another hairdresser suggested to not avoid natural fats. I eat full fat foods. I mean milk, cheese, etc. are not non- or low-fat. My hair is getting so thin it's disturbing and I'm tired of pulling my hair out everytime I condition or brush my hair. I had a little bit of hair loss before surgery, but now it's ridiculous! What do I need to increase or do differently to stop my hair loss? And exactly what is the science behind the hair loss after our surgery and how does it eventually stop?
HW: 210 SW: 193 GW:120 Ht:5'0" Age: 36

INgirl
on 9/19/12 10:52 am
Google telogen effluvium, it will explain what this is about.. anesthesia may complicate it, but it's more from the super low calorie (shifting down from higher intake to very low) and from the shock to your system that major surgery is- which generally requires a lot of energy to recover from, which we are not intaking (food.) I shed like a mad bugger last time I lost a ton of weight years ago.. it happens.

The downshift in resources shuts down the hair growth at the root. When the new hair starts to come in the old one is shed.. Though, I may suggest strongly- measure and track your intake, esp protein. It is a vital nutrient, and too long without adequate amounts can make the problem worse, and lead to others. You may be eating fine, or you may be eating too little- I know for me it was pretty much protein to the exclusion of everything else in order to get 70g a day for the first 6mo at least.. 70g was my minimum.
imkristy1
on 9/19/12 11:08 am - WI
VSG on 02/13/12
Im with ya! Ive lost quite a bit of hair myself and Im 7 months out. (pics of my hairloss are in my profile) It has slowed down ALOT, but it is still coming out. I do have small hairs growing back now, they are about 1/2" long.. lol... they are so cute! I do track my protein and get anywhere from 80-110gr of protein a day. I think you should track your food just to be sure that isnt part of the issue. Good luck to you!

Kristy  5'5"  HW-224   SW-207    GW-140   Goal reached in 40 weeks!  PRE-OP - 17    MTH 1 - 15   MTH 2 - 13    MTH 3 - 12   MTH 4 8    MTH 5 -  5    MTH 6 - 4   MTH 7 - MTH 8 -MTH 9 - 0  MTH 10 - 0

Stacie B.
on 9/19/12 11:15 am - Charlotte, NC
 Thank you INgirl! I will look into it. and I will try to track my protein better.

Daisy_Rose
on 9/19/12 12:06 pm
 I lost quite a bit of hair too,.. quit washing it every day... take biotin to help with re-growth and I think the little tufts of hair that are starting to come in here are pretty cute :)

Stacie B.
on 9/19/12 12:18 pm - Charlotte, NC
 I am very hesitant to stop washing my hair everyday. It gets SO oily and gross. I may have to wear scarves. and I am taking 5mg of biotin plus the biotin I get in my multi. I'm pretty sure any more than that is uneffective. What do you think?

Stacie B.
on 9/19/12 1:11 pm - Charlotte, NC
 I just talked to my nurse practioner. She said my blood work that was done a couple months ago showed great vitamin levels. The only recommedation she had was to take biotin, which I already am, and to focus on protein. I guess thats the only I can do - focus on protein. In the meantime, I need to figure out hairstyles that don't make my thin hair so obvious. :)

considering2012
on 9/19/12 2:44 pm
Some of the literature suggest that TE can be slowed with zinc supplementation.
lala285
on 9/19/12 2:49 pm - OK
VSG on 08/06/12
 My doc recommends 50mg of zinc every third day. I take it, as well as daily biotin. However, I'm not really convinced that supplements truly help with preventing any hairloss, only making the new growth healthy. But I figure I might as well try. 

HW: 291   SW: 273   CW: 168  GW: 153

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

Pura Vida
on 9/19/12 7:26 pm - Costa Rica
I am 3+ yrs out and I went through that horrible shedding period, I had really long hair and it was annoying and heartbreaking to dig it out of the shower drain. I finally bit the bullet and cut it into a bob, so at least my loose hairs wouldn't be all over my clothes, in the bed, in the car, etc. I am happy to report that the hair did grow back in nice and thick, if you check my profile you can kinda see my hair transitions. Anyways, my point is this, make sure your protein levels are optimal (100grams/day) and maybe get a new hairstyle or pull it back into a bun for the next 6 months, its so worth the trade off!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views