Why do we lose inches in a stall? Calling all science geeks and/or speculators!

SleevedLife
on 9/19/12 6:09 am
I don't know the number of times I've read about people losing inches during a stall.  This seemed borderline impossible, and then (of course) it happened to me.  Now I'm a convert, a believer. 

I've been in a stall for about 3 weeks or so.  A very maddening stall because I've upped my exercise and I've been militant about what I'm eating.  So this morning, as I nearly chucked my scale out the window, I decided to put the scale down and check my measurements.  I lost two inches (!!) on my hips.  My hips haven't budged in a couple of months, now that I'm not losing weight I've lost two inches??  Wa-wa-waaaaaht? 

I'm very curious as to why this phenomena occurs.  Anyone know?  Any good guesses?  Any wild guesses? 

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Christine45
on 9/19/12 6:15 am
My doctor explained it to a group of us at a group meeting on Monday.  I am going to try to explain it the best I can but won't do it the justice that he did.  There are two steps to loosing weight, the weight loss itself and then the body restructuring.  At some point after loosing weight your body needs time to stop and readjust itself and during the time that you aren't loosing weight you will be loosing inches.  He said it is like when you gain weight and sometimes you can over eat and over eat and not gain and then one day bam, your clothes don't fit even if you haven't gained any weight and then a little later you see that the scale jumped.  It takes time for your body to adjust to the changes.

SleevedLife
on 9/19/12 7:09 am
Thank you!  That's great that your doctor addressed this very issue in a group meeting.  What you say makes sense...

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

beach_mama
on 9/19/12 6:49 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Hi Sleevedlife...if you check out Elina_7's post from 12-09-18 at 12:09, she explains it very well there...

SleevedLife
on 9/19/12 7:11 am
You know, I read that thread the other day... and then I went back and re-read it now.  I must be blind because I just don't see where she talks about this specific issue.  She talks about the 3-week stall, and other stalls... but I don't see any specific mention of why we lose inches when we don't lose weight.   I don't know why I don't see it.  I'm sorry - thanks for trying to point me in the right direction, though.  

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

beach_mama
on 9/19/12 7:16 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Yes, you're right, my mistake.  I re-read it just now too and although she does mention that you will lose inches but not weight sometimes, there is no explanation as to why.
sorry

SleevedLife
on 9/19/12 7:39 am
Oh, that's ok!  Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't just missing something.    It was a good suggestion to read that thread, because it does have a lots of good info.  Just not the specific thing I'm looking for.

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/12 8:24 am, edited 9/19/12 1:56 am
You are right, I didn't really address this issue, but it is part of the stair step weight-loss process. I can give you a more technical explanation if you want it. Just ask me. But, it's one way to tell that you are not really in a stall at all, your body is doing exactly what it needs to do to lose and then transform itself. It also means that if you keep doing exactly what you are doing; low calories and exercise, you are headed for a major weight loss on the scale in just a little while. The interruption of the process you are going through, is exactly why I always tell people not to increase their calories to trigger an artificial end to the "stall". I was thinking about how deep of a scientific explanation you really wanted. There is a very complicated and involved process going on during the stall. I thought maybe it might help if I just summerized it here.

- Fat weighs less than water.
- While the body breaks down fat from cells, some cellular structure is still left behind and as the fat goes, water comes in to fill the space.
- Before the cellular structure is broken down and reprocessed by the body, it has water hanging around in it.

IE: the space that was once filled by fat (lighter) is now filled by water (heavier) and THAT is why we sometimes see stalls but lose inches. I hope this helps.

SleevedLife
on 9/19/12 1:57 am, edited 9/19/12 1:57 am
I am curious to hear a more technical explaination as to why we lose inches in a stall, but I don't want to burden you with making you write out all the exhaustive details.  Anything you want to share on you matter (cliff notes version/referral to another site that explains) will be gobbled up by me!  :)

Someone else had suggested that I'm not really in a stall if I'm losing inches.  This really made me happy to think of it that way.  I get so hung up on that scale.  I hope you are right and I'll see a nice drop in weight coming soon.  All I can do is keep on keepin' on!

ETA:  Oh, hey, you added the info while I was making my post!! Thanks so much!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Technical, but simplified enough that it makes sense to me!!

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/12 9:08 am
My pleasure.  It was a really good question that needed to be asked and answered.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views