Liquid Diet

Ladybug C.
on 9/19/12 11:52 am
VSG on 10/11/12
I am one week away from starting the liquid diet. I think I will do fine during this phase but I know the hunger headaches are going to kill me. I have a few questions for those of you who are post-op:

I know everyone is different but are the gas pains REALLY REALLY bad? I ask because it seems I have gas a lot as it is...I dont want to be in horrid pain for what seems like forever.

How long before I will start to feel like myself, totally?

When were you able to start exercising? and woudl it be good for me to continue to exercise right up until my vsg date?
Kelly-AnneH
on 9/19/12 12:22 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The hunger headaches won't kill you. You WILL be hungry and cranky for the first 3 days. If you drink coffee, start switching to decaf NOW. Hungry PLUS caffeine withdrawal is not something you want to live through.

Yes, the gas pain CAN be knee buckling bad, and the nausea CAN be dreadful. Take GasX strips with you and use them. Also, don't be shy about asking for pain &nausea meds. Walk as much as you can. Once we were out of the hospital (we stayed in San Diego for an extra couple of days) and walking/shopping the gas came out pretty darned quickly and all of my pain and nausea were gone.

Everyone is different. Other than tiring more easily I was fine within a week.

My surgeon wanted us walking within a couple of hours of surgery. I was able to walk 1/2 mile to the bus and shop for an hour on day 5, although I had to stop and rest a couple of times. I was back in the pool at 4 weeks. (but no ab stuff 'til 8 weeks)

Absolutely exercise right up to your date. You want to go into this as healthy as possible. Preop is also a great time to work on drinking more and for clearing junk food out of the house.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Ladybug C.
on 9/19/12 2:08 pm
VSG on 10/11/12

Thanks for the great advice....Nausea and gas...OMG! Oh trust me if Im feeling bad...Im asking for all that they are willing to give me. I figured exercise wouldnt hurt me...Ive been kinda lazy with it lately but I will try harder during my 2 week pre-op, hopefully it will help take the edge off the hunger...Ive been being really mindful of getting the liquids in also...I want to succeed at this and more importantly I want to bounce back well.

missyshy
on 9/19/12 12:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/21/12
 Im 1 day from surgery did a 2 week liquid diet oh and have up coffee as well!  My family was scared of me I'm certian I was losing my mind! 1st 3 days easy I was excited, day 4 killer headaches having withdrawals, day 5 stomped around mad till day 9 when my sweetheart finally brought laxatives home..... Day 10 mildly better but hungry!!!! Day 11 oh hello self there you are.... Better! Day 13 I'm good not too hungry drinking lots of tea,  excited for surgery now!   You can do it, roll with it and blame bad temper on prediet! 

Ladybug C.
on 9/19/12 2:03 pm
VSG on 10/11/12
OMG! Im s not looking forward but I will do a lot of praying and trying to not think about foooooodddddd!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 150 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views