quick protein endorsement

sleevicidal_maniac
on 9/27/12 10:35 pm
I have been using Cryosport Muscle Milk chocolate powdered protein to make protein drinks. The one scoop serving is a great "meal" for the morning providing 16g protein, 2g fiber, 150 calories and 9g carbs - but only 2g from sugar and it's lactose free. The drawback, it tastes like crap when mixed with water. Now, I even have a Waring Kitchen Classic milkshake blender and an ice chipper and I can make bona fide milkshakes, still hard to get through a 6-8oz glass.

So, yesterday, I mixed it with raspberry Fruit2O. One scoop of powder, 6oz of Fruit2O and 1/4cup (2oz) of ice. Tasted much better. Same nutritional values since the Fruit2O adds nothing - except artificial sweeteners, which I try to minimize. But it tasted good and the drink went down easy.

Today, I tried the same powder with Almond Breeze, almond/coconut milk blend. I let the blender spin for an extra 45 seconds and it made a super delicious milkshake. I mean really, really good. It adds a little bit of nutrition to consider, but I think it was worth it. 

So, a chocolate coconut protein milkshake with 1 scoop of MM and 6oz of almond/coconut milk and 2oz ice looks like this on your diet trackers:

195 cals
3g fiber
17g protein
14g carb - 6g sugar
2g fat
lactose free

Two added bonuses - First, this was my first full week of soft solids. So, I just flat out added this beverage to my meal plan. I haven't been getting enough calories and really felt it in my legs and then in the afternoon was crashing. The crashing stopped, so it must have been just what I needed. My protein was up and my legs stopped getting achy in the evening.

Second - I started on Monday and then tuesday and each day since, I did #2 within 10 minutes of my shake. Nice easy ones! Soooo much better than metamucil and way more dietarly efficient than grits or cereal choices (although not as tasty - I will continue to reserve those for the weekends).

Quick summary - Over the past five days, I added about 800 cals total to my diet, but more importantly over 80g of protein. I feel better and got a little more regular and (drumroll please) lost 5.4lbs without changing my exercise or sleep habits.

Overeating kills us, but undereating doesn't work either. Happy Friday.

AnnieinIA
on 9/27/12 11:26 pm
I am glad you found something that works for you. I have a story to tell also so will just piggy back on yours. I am 17 days post op. I have done incredibly well with recovery except the shakes were, literally, making me ill. I tried many pre op and had at least samples of all the major brands I heard about on this site. Post op they ALL made me sick. I was prepared to not like them (which happened) but them making me sick was a bigger issue. My surgeon told me to take a few days break from them, which was just what I wanted to hear....until I really thought about that and realized I would have to either get all my protein from food or be under nourished. I came up with a plan to try to use only real food. Fortunately I had the good sense to run that idea past my "guide" Elina and she wasted no time in telling me I MUST find a workable protein supplement and suggested looking for companies that used different formulas. Thank you m, my dear Elina, as I have found a product that is working great for me and it also uses only non BHT treated product and no artificial sweeteners.

Jay Robb powder does not make me sick and tastes (dare I say it) good! I have only used vanilla but will buy chocolate today. I think one bonus is how much better it smells. The vanilla smells like cake batter. It can be found various places but I got it at Whole Foods.

I love the following: 8 oz water, one serving crystal light sunrise orange, 1 scoop vanilla powder and a little sugar free coconut syrup. It tastes like a treat.

This morning I put a scoop of powder in a cup of coffee (my surgeon allows it) and....yummy.

So experiment till you find your source. I am a happy girl.
foolishgrrl_1
on 9/28/12 12:16 am
VSG on 03/11/13
The JR Strawberry is pretty tasty too.

I'm def going to try the flavored water idea. Thank guys for the great suggestions!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views