WHY am I hungry???

toniosmom
on 9/28/12 11:55 am, edited 9/28/12 11:59 am
 I'm starting to get very frustrated.  I am hungry and want to eat often.  I am struggling with my weight loss -- in the middle of my 2nd stall.  I am just over 6 weeks out and am down 33 lbs.  The first 22 were from the liquids and lost by 1 week out, so the last 11 have taken me 5 weeks.  While I don't mind losing 11 lbs in 5 weeks, I thought during the first month I would have lost more.  

On top of it all, I feel hungry pretty often.  My surgeon has lifted all restrictions on food, so I am able to eat anything now.  I have tolerated just about anything I have eaten with no trouble.  My nutritionist has me at 800-1000 cals/day and I've been in that range.  I have also started exercising.  I do WiiFit free step, zumba, and walk.  I get at least one of these exercizes in every day.  

On a good note, I measure myself every two weeks and I've lost inches each time I have measured.  I hope this means that I am losing fat, even if the pounds are not melting off.  

I'm starting to get very concerned about my hunger.  I know that some of it is head hunger, but some is true hunger.  I guess I am surprised that I am feeling this kind of hunger so early out.  I'm worried that I am going to overeat -- bad habits of late night eating are stalking me.  Why the heck am I so hungry?  I thought these days would be behind me.  

I would appreciate any advice.  I'm starting to panic a bit.  I know that the first six months are a very crucial time to lose as much weight as possible and I'm worried that I'm going to miss the opportunity due to that darn hunger demon.  

Thanks,
Karen

rhearob
on 9/28/12 12:22 pm - TN

To start with - work on the head hunger issues.  Do that work now.  Head hunger can be hard to separate from physical hunger.  Your mind can trick your body.  Especially now when signals from your tummy are still mangled.

As for the true physical hunger - Here are a few things to look at:

1.  What are you eating?  High carb food will trigger cravings for more carbs in most of us

2.  In the vein of number 1 - when you do eat focus on eating only lean dense proteins.  Those will stay with you longer.  Dig up Frisco's post on the pyloric valve for all the technical details.

3.  When are you experiencing hunger?  If its after eating or when you are in a reclined or lying position it could be acid.  You may need to go on or up your PPI dosage.  Acid problems are often mistaken for hunger.

4.  Talk it over with your surgeon or PCP.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

lucy2e
on 9/28/12 12:46 pm - Laurel, MD
On top of everything rhearob said, are you taking any PPI?  Sometimes acid reflux can mimic hunger.  You might need your dose increase or to change to a different one (like to prilosec from prevacid).

Good luck! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

danzeppelin
on 9/28/12 12:50 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
Can't add to that, sleeve sister. I agree with Rob in all points. I get some hunger, but it's not real overpowering. I can usually kill it off with water... lots of water.
My nut wants me on more carbs, more calories... so on, but I get major hunger from carb heavy foods, and really struggle to get in even close to 800 calories. I feel really good on good dense proteins, and some steamed veggies...works for me, but everybody is different.
You'll get a handle on it Sister!

Eula "Evie" R.
on 9/28/12 1:03 pm - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi Karen,
I am about 1 1/2 yrs out of surgery. I am learning a lot. The sleeve is only a tool, you have to always work it. I eat a lot more now and I am starved a lot. I really hate this and I notice if I really eat my protein and junk food my sleeve still work, carbs does bring on hunger. I am very scared about gaining weight back. Enjoy your sleeve if you can and you might have to go or call your Dr.

God Bless u.
Evie

LindaDarnell B.
on 9/28/12 1:40 pm
VSG on 08/07/12
Thanks for posting this bc I am a week ahead of u and have been experiencing this frustration since almost day 1. Im working through it but Im very concerned that my weight has slowed......like you, most of my weight loss was during the first 4 weeks. But im working with the nutritionist more and working my plan (and planning my work),so I can get to the promise land. It just helps to hear that im not the only person struggling rightnow. We'll get thru this!

~Regena from SC: /Surgery Weight 317/Highest Weight 321

toniosmom
on 9/28/12 8:58 pm
Yes, I've been on a PPI since two months before surgery.  The gastro wants me to continue taking it for two months after surgery, so I really only have a couple of weeks left on it. I still have a refill left on it, so I may continue it for a while longer.  

My carb count has been hovering between 60 and 80 (my nut set a goal of 70) -- perhaps I need to drop that a bit.  I don't get my carbs from starches -- it has been mostly from dairy and fruit/veggies.  I haven't had bread, rice or pasta since before the pre-op diet.  Now that I look at my MFP food diary, I think I've got too much dairy in my diet.  It's too easy to grab a cheese stick (or two or three).  Does anyone have any suggestions for quick snack foods?  I've seen that some people eat beef jerky -- does that work?   Maybe I don't have a good handle on what a dense protein is.  

If I can't get a handle on my hunger this weekend, I'm going to call my surgeon on Monday morning.  Perhaps he has some suggestions for me.  I plan to contact my nutritionist as well.  

I really appreciate all of the feedback.  You are all awesome.

Happy966
on 9/29/12 4:13 am

OK, do not panic.  I had this happen to me, and it is a manageable issue.  I have never been on a PPI, so I don't know about that part, but I do know that physical hunger can be managed.  I did not have surgery to be hungry all the time.

First, at 6 weeks out, your tummy is still not fully healed, and is not really sending reliable signals to your brain.  This isn't really helpful, but it's good to remind yourself that you're not 100% there yet.  Next, be a detective and figure out which foods keep you satisfied the longest.  Not necessary which taste best, or are most enjoyable.  By that, I don't mean eat things you don't enjoy, but I really enjoyed cheese sticks for instance and they didn't *touch* my hunger.  Eggs either.

Dense protein means (usually) muscle meat from an animal, with minimal processing beyond cooking.  Deli meats are good, are protein, but do not fill me up.  In descending order: chicken breast (might be too early for you), pork roast, lamb roast, beef, predator fish, flaky fish.  Cheese does not satisfy hunger.  Nuts do not satisfy hunger.  Greek yogurt can.  Tofu can.  Cottage cheese also satisfies me, but not everyone.  Beef jerky, yes.  I didn't drink much milk ever.

OK, you will develop a list of satisfying foods.  Next, eat those.  Eat those first, in a measured amount.  At 6 weeks out, I at 1.5 to 2 ounces of dense protein at a time.  Chicken breast was too much to handle until 8-10 weeks.  Eat your meal, stop, wait 45 minutes (or as directed), then drink drink drink.  Push fluids for a full hour.  I was not satisfied until well after the meal was over.

I started drinking iced decaf coffee in the afternoons, with almond milk.  Yum.  I find it an easy and lo-cal way to get in fluids and it helps carry me between meals.

Please feel free to contact me if you're still having problems.  There is no bonus points for being hungry!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

emmecj
on 9/29/12 8:55 am - CA
VSG on 10/17/12
 Have you read the book:

The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition

Great book!

moonglo82
on 9/29/12 9:11 am
VSG on 03/29/12
At six weeks out, what do you mean when you say you are in your second stall? Are you losing a lot at once, and then not losing for a few days at a time?

A lot of people find that, after the initial drop in weight, they lose in s stair-step fashion... they'll lose quickly for a few days, and then nothing, and then lose again, and then nothing... this is apparently more common in women.

Also, are you getting enough fluids? Believe it or not, a lack of fluids can cause us to retain water and make us weigh more. 64oz is really a minimum... I find I lose much better when I get 80-100 oz a day, and that's without protein shakes.

As far as the hunger goes, mine never went away, but it did get more manageable. Now my hunger is like an internal alarm clock that reminds me that I need to eat lol. It's usually pretty consistent as long as I am eating lean, dense proteins at each meal. If I eat too many carbs, I feel hungry because my body wants me to eat more carbs. But that's just me.

Honestly, though, try to not read too much into your rate of loss, as long as you are losing. 20 pounds in the first month is awesome!

PS- I'm six months out today, and I don't buy into the idea that I can't keep losing, or that losing will be more difficult, just because I hit six months. Sure, I may have less swelling now than I did five months ago (meaning I can eat more now), and sure, I may have to work at it to find new ways to eat my protein so I don't get bored while staying on plan, but I fully intend to get my last 30 pounds off and possibly then some. If it happens by the end of the year, awesome. If not, I'll still get there.

This isn't a sprint; it's a marathon. Keep moving forward, and the losses will really add up.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views