Sleeves around me..

INgirl
on 10/3/12 3:04 am
I've not been posting much recently, taking a mental health break due to stresses in my life and a dire situation with a loved ones health status.. but I still read here daily. I just can't post much as my mood is off and many times I would say something too bluntly that I wouldn't normally say.. but.. among the turmoil of recent in my life, I have had a few bright points happen to those around me.. namely my sister just had the sleeve and is home and recuperating well. Just talked to her yesterday and she is in good spirits, and my aunt who I don't see anymore, but still care about, also had the sleeve recently! 

Who in your life has made changes, whether to pursue WLS or just to get healthier?

I don't know if my decisions had any direct impact on my sister or aunt, but just the fact they both took the plunge makes me smile knowing they will both be in a better place for the future.

Shagdoll
on 10/3/12 3:15 am
My older sister told me I was her biggest inspiration recently. Obviously she knows I've had surgery but she says she admires my dedication to making this lifestlye change when she knows I've struggled with my weight most my life. She knows that I still struggle on a daily basis to make good food choices.
My sister doesn't qualify for WLS since her BMI is too low but we have been trying to be a great support system towards one another. So far it's working.
I have a co-worker who is in the process of getting the sleeve. She won't have the surgery until early next year but she's so excited. I have been taking walking breaks with her. She used to struggle to keep up but she's doing awesome now and has already lost 11 pounds. She's such a beautiful gal and I love being her cheerleader. It also makes me happy to know she will be improving her life to the fullest.
I know the sleeve doesn't fix all our personal issues but it does help me not have to worry about being MO anymore, thank gawd for that!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Italian-Princess
on 10/3/12 3:43 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi INgirl 

Sorry you're having so much stress to deal with -- it's so taxing to our bodies and minds.  Its good you are finding some positives to help balance thing a little bit.

You really gave me an AHA moment when you ask who in my life has made changes re: health and/or weight issues.  When I started this journey, I got absolutely NO support from anyone.  The husband -- that was expected, but I sure did expect friends to rally around.  Instead, I got the "oh, you're doing it the easy way" crap............EVERY ONE of them!  GRRRRRRRRR   Your comment had me sit up and take notice that every one of them has a weight issue and most have health issues to one degree or another.  Why didn't I see that before?  So, I am beginning to see that the "easy way" comments were just excuses in a way -- they won't do the hard work with or without a sleeve!

Thank you for that -- I feel much better now. 

Sending good thoughts that your stresses ease and things improve for your loved one.

Ree
kathyshrinks
on 10/3/12 6:34 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12

Hey Jo, sending good vibes your wayand hoping all things get better soon!!

I have a very good childhood friend that lives about 225 miles from me but we stay in touch and try to get together several times a year. She is one of the few that know I had the vsg. She is very supportive. Over the last yr she has seen the changes in what I eat and how much I eat. Just in the last few months she has been trying to cut out sugar/carbs and eat more protein and asking lots of questions. She does not want to have the surgery but she told me last night she has now lost 27 lbs and she is so happy!
Of course I am delighted for her and cheering her on. I am glad to help and encourage anyone/everyone to make those changes however is best for them.

Faye56
on 10/3/12 6:54 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
Jo, I don't know how the above posted by Kathy Shrinks but I actually wrote and posted it.

Faye56

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/12 12:24 am
JO,

I admit that keeping my success from friends and family has been difficult at times but why bother when they were the ones that told me that I would always be big and did not support my decision.

I have 2 great friends, one in LA that had a band 3 years ago.  She has struggled with keeping the weight off and recently had the RNY since her insurance would not pay for the sleeve. She is currently 3 months post-op and doing well.

One of my best friends and I went through the process together, our surgeries were only 6 weeks apart so it was wonderful to have these 2 people to lean on and support along the way. 

At the current time, the hubby is finally getting himself into gear to lose his extra 50 lbs.  It frustrates me that he is totally taking advantage of my previous struggles and eating all my healthy alternative recipes with NONE of the work. At this time he is not exercising not helping with meal prep.  At least he has stopped bringing home ice cream and cookies so I will consider that a victory.

you are looking great. Keep up the good work and battle on!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views