Gals only - PMS - Emotions and not being able to carb up! Ahhh!

AdeanaMarie
on 10/8/12 11:04 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Okay, this time around my PMS was the worst ever and I know exactly why.  I did not carb up.  Wow, did my attitude and emotions dislike me for a couple days.  I totally used to handle PMS with carbs before.  Now, it is a whole new learning curve of what will get me through those 2 days of PMS a month.  I am thinking of barricading myself into my home for those days with no outside world contact.  Ha!  It will be a process and I am sure will get better with time.

Any hints as to what you do to counteract the emotional roller coaster during that time?

I think consistent exercise would help, for sure.  But wondering if any one else has some ideas on how to cope and not with carbs or food.

Thanks!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

TSinNC
on 10/8/12 11:39 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 I've been trying to redirect that hormonal mess of energy into exercising or crafting. Good luck!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Angel1974
on 10/8/12 11:47 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
 I hit the gym and work out like a crazy woman.

Follow my progress on my youtube channel
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCARrPUdk_U

AdeanaMarie
on 10/9/12 12:35 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
 I think an aggressive workout is going to be my best best.  I already knit and crochet, but during that time I just get frustrated and make mistakes.  So perhaps a punching bag hanging in my basement would do the trick!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Shagdoll
on 10/9/12 1:12 am
I'm pissy today because I am sick & I am PMSing all at the same time.  I admit to slipping & letting the carb monster out of the closet but this month, so far so good.  Exercise can definitely help.  For me because I am under the weather, exercise needs to take a back seat since I am severly run down right now & I'm trying to fight this cold & sore throat with all my might.  Sucks for sure.
Try to distract yourself... & try to plan your meals ahead of time because if you are anything like me during TOM, I can easily fall off track and the set back is annoying as hell.

Good luck with everything!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

AdeanaMarie
on 10/9/12 2:13 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Sorry today is one of those days for you.  Being sick on top of it is not fun at all.  Maybe an Epsom Salt bath could help eleviate some of your cold symptoms?  I love taking salt baths.  I think it just helps my mind clear out and makes me thankful I can actually fit in the tub comfortably now.  :O)

I probably need to stop keeping frozen chocolate chips in the freezer.  I was really good about only having just a few (5-6) once in awhile.  But TOM came and I couldn't stop at the smaller amount and probably ate a good handful before I was done, since I went back to the freezer several times.  Ouch!  And sadly, those carbs just made things worse, I think.

You are so right, I am going to bump up the exercise and I do plan out my meals, so I am set there.  Just need to stop the chocolate chip thing.

Also, try gargling with sal****er for your sore throat or even apple cider vinegar.  It does help!
If you are coughing, put Vick's vapor rub on the bottom of your feet with socks.  Crazy, but it helps too.  Maybe old wives tales, but some do work.

Feel better quick!

Shagdoll
on 10/9/12 2:20 am
You are so sweet.  Thank you for all your feedback, I appreciate it!!!

In regards to the frozen chocolate chips... I would need hardcore willpower to keep something like that at home.  I would not be able to eat just 5-6 micro pieces, lol!!!  If you think it would help, get rid of them, at least for a while... or at least during TOM.  Those little chocolate pieces of heaven would be the death of me during this time!!!

Thanks again.  ;-)

Jenn  

WWBD?  

ksommer08
on 10/9/12 10:53 am, edited 10/9/12 10:54 am - OH
VSG on 06/25/12
I had to LOL at your chocolate fix - I don't keep it in the house all the time, but even my GYNO has recommended 1 dark chocolate bar (2 ounces or so) each day for 2 to 3 days before my period. I blanched at it and she sat down and broke down the weekly calorie deficit with said chocolate bar included, then showed me the research that chocolate releases endorphins specifically shown to combat PMS, and has been shown to work as well or better than Prozac for PMS. So 3 days a month, I go get my Lindt's dark chocolate with sea salt bar and I give myself permission for an extra 150 calories on those three days for that purpose. I plan it in and account for it. As my beloved GYNO told me - 1/2 a chocolate bar 3 days a month is not a binge and I an extra 450 calories a month is not going to keep me from goal, but it may keep me from ripping my coworkers heads off and crying like a crazy person in the middle of the grocery store.

AdeanaMarie
on 10/9/12 10:01 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
 I am so going to plan it in now.  You are right, better to plan and know you need it, than to feel guilty about it.  Freedom comes when we know how to best care for our bodies and when we do not lie to ourselves about what we are putting in them and why.  I like the plan and am going to do it!  Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 166 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 442 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 463 views