OT - Mental illness

Danae T.
on 10/18/12 3:17 am
Does anyone know of a forum similar to this one for those dealing with mental illness?  Either themselves or in a loved one?  My 18 year old son has schizophrenia and has been hospitalized three times in the last year, he was just released for the last time on the 9th.  And, my mom was just released Tuesday after a suicide attemp due to severe depression and anxiety.  I could really use somewhere to get ideas about how to deal with it all, talk it out, help with dealing with the behaviors with as little impact to other children in the home, etc.  My son is the big one.  He prefers to self medicate with marijuana and we can't allow that kind of behavior in our home, but can't really kick him out like we would if he didn't suffer from mental illness either since he can't support himself and does not deal well with stress.  Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks

Danae T    
MichelleLarra
on 10/18/12 3:22 am - NY
I have an uncle who suffers from schizophrenia, I joined: www.schizophrenia.com and also NAMI which is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (www.nami.org) has some great resources. I know what you're going through as my uncle has decided to not take his meds and his illness is getting worse.  It's a hard situation to be in.  I hope you can find some help.
reneemosley
on 10/18/12 3:34 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
Oh dear I so closley understand, I will give you the link to NAMI its a good resource. Remember to take care of yourself an seek professional help. My only sister has schizophrenia and mom is severe manic. Drugs and alcohol always seem to come into the situation, phewey. NAMI can help you with local support and phone support.

Be strong and care for yourself well, you will get through this!

www.nami.org/

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

tlpldy
on 10/18/12 4:29 am
the social worker at the hospital should also have given him some support system information.  If they didn't, you should call the hospital, see if they can give you some references for support groups, of course a regular psychiatrist and counselor as well. 
ParisGirl
on 10/18/12 8:31 am
VSG on 04/25/13
 Another good site is www.bandbacktogether.com

its an open forum covering all sorts of medical and mental health concerns.  It's also a way to speak anonymously about things in your life...with people having the same experiences.

It is helpful to me for my depression.

all the best to you and your family.  Please be sure to take care of yourself.  

reneemosley
on 10/19/12 3:57 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
Thanks for the info share Pari....I'm checking it out. Glad your surgery stuff is working out!

Danae T.
on 10/18/12 9:31 am
Thank you all for your suggestions.  He does have a Dr who is in charge of his meds that he sees regularly and I am aware of the day program in the area I need to check into.  it just hurts so bad because he had such a promising future in front of him before this all started.  Now I honestly can't ever see him being able to take care of himself, let alone a family.  And not only will he miss out on those joys but my husband and I would really love to travel, etc, after all of the kids are gone and now I see that dream going up in smoke as well. 

Maybe I should play the lottery so I actually have a chance at winning.  Then, if I am lucky enough to win I will be able to afford all of the meds, therapists, Dr visits, hospital visits I see in my future.  At least we can keep him on our insurance for awhile. 

Thanks again!!!!

Danae T    
ksommer08
on 10/18/12 10:42 am, edited 10/18/12 10:44 am - OH
VSG on 06/25/12
I want to give you a little hope, too. I was in a similar situation at 18 - was hospitalized 5 times between 16 and 21. Diagnosed first bipolar, then schizophrenia. Did drugs, drank, did far worse things. Doctors at that time told my parents I'd never be able to live by myself, go to college, or hold down a full time job and I'd probably wind up in jail or dead before I was 30 (great doctors, huh?)  I'm sure I worried 10 years off my parents' lives. My parents finally laid down the law - either I took my meds or they would put my stuff on the front porch and I could figure out what I was going to do because I wouldn't be living with them anymore.

I'm now 27. I live on my own (though my house is only a few doors down from mom and dad's and I eat dinner there more than at my house, I hate eating dinner alone). I finish my bachelor's of business management next week - I'll be graduating magn *** laude. I have been working full time for 5 years and just this week started a new job heading my own department on a very prestigious national contract.

It sucks right now - I know it, I feel for you, I feel for him, and I want nothing more than to give you both a hug and tell you to hold on. That being said, don't give up on your son's bright future. This could just be a detour and it may take a little longer than planned.

P.S. - I never really did find an online group that I liked, but feel free to reach out to me at any time. I'd be more than happy to share my experiences, offer any advice I have, or just listen to you vent.

Danae T.
on 10/19/12 3:52 am
Thank you so much for your message.  I think that what bothers me the most with him is his attitude of helplessness.  It is like he has given up on wanting anything better for himself.  I know, if he would learn to manage his illness properly, he would be able to be successfull at whatever he wanted to do.  At the moment it just seems like all he wants to do is sleep or go to his friends where he does drugs and gets no sleep.  Both of which aggrivate his condition.  He has been told, repeatedly and maybe that's the problem, to stay clean or move out.  Unfortunately, the last time we gave him the ultimatum he didn't keep up his end of the bargain so we told him to be out by the end of the month.  Two days before that he ended up in the hospital after not sleeping for 3 days.  Now I don't know what to do.  What was it that finally made it all click with you so that you wanted to help yourself?

Danae T    
reneemosley
on 10/19/12 3:56 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
What a wonderful share! You are an inspiration. It's so refreshing to hear the good aspects of this disease!!

Thank you

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views