SO confused. Would you be willing to share both your measurments AND your clothing size?

SleevedLife
on 10/19/12 2:15 am
I shop online a lot, so I rely on sizing charts to help me determine what size to order.   It seems like the sizing charts aren't often an accurate reflection of the size of the clothes.  I know this is very personal, but it would be so helpful to me (and I'd be willing to bet, many others) if willing participants would share their measurements  (at least chest/bust, waist, and hips), height, and size clothing you usually find fits you.

Just to be fair and disclose my own measurements, since I'm asking for others...
Height: 5'6
Bust (widest part/overbreasts):  39 inches
Waist:  35 inches
Hips: 40.5 inches.

Yeah, I'm shaped like a box.  ;)  I wear a size 16w in most jeans, but I have a big waist so sometimes I need an 18 - which tends to be too baggy in my hips and legs, 14/16 tops at Lane Bryant, and some things I can wear a regular ladies XL - like at Kohls and Old Navy.  But, but this pretty much the limited range of my shopping because I can't go by size charts to buy from other online vendors.  Some say a 16W as a 32 inch waist-  which I definitely do not have, but yet I can fit into their 16w??  It makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, for the women, how do you find your bra size??  I have seen different instructions from different sources.  Some say the band is the measurement under your breasts plus five.   Some say it's the area above your breasts and below your arm pits.  Waaaaaa?  No wonder I just wear comfy sports bras every day (Size XL, no cup or band size to worry about!)

Here are my chestical measurements:
Above breasts/under armpits:  34 inches
Over breasts: 39 inches
Right under breasts (which I thought would be the band):  36.5 inches.

Haaaaaaaalp.  What size bra should I wear, if I wanted a "real" bra and not just a boob smooshing sports bra?  I'm thinking 42 B??  

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to offering up their data for all to see.  :)  It might make clothes shopping online a lot easier to get a idea of what a (for example) size 14 at the Gap REALLY fits.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

tripmom02
on 10/19/12 2:38 am - NJ
Ok, I am 5'7, 150 lbs - I have an insanely small waist as compared to my hips so my body shape is different then yours, so it might not help you at all.

Bust - 37 (over the breast)
Waist - 30
Hips - 38

I wear a size 6/8 pants, but have gotten into some 4's lately. I have to wear low rise pants b/c I could never, ever find pants that fit on my hips and waist, they just don't make them.

My dress size is a solid 6 or small.

I wear size small/medium tops.

As for bra's, go get fitted! The proper bra makes all the difference!

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

tripmom02
on 10/19/12 2:42 am - NJ
Oh and if you are wearing a size 16 at other stores, the size 14 at the Gap or Old Navy will most likely fit you, Old Navy runs on the bigger side and I have always been a size smaller there then at any other store.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Shagdoll
on 10/19/12 2:56 am
When I was measured at Victoria's Secret, they measure you right across the breasts & then right below... not under the armpit. 

Dang, I hate posting this since I already know the men read this sh** but I am 35 inches below the breast & 5 inches more across the breast... Ea*****h is a cup size from what the bra fitter told me ... so for me, I am a DD ...
I'm posting this for you gurl!!!  I am a shy gurl so freaking aye...

Hope that helps but like Courtney said, it's best to go get fitted.  It's not embarrassing since they can measure you with your clothes on.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

laurak712
on 10/19/12 3:17 am - New Braunfels, TX
Seriously!  I am 29" under breasts and 35 across the breast and I sure as hell ain't no DDD...more like 34 C! 

Laura

Height 5' 7

Shagdoll
on 10/19/12 3:22 am, edited 10/19/12 3:23 am
Really???  Hum, that's what the gal told me and when she picked my bra & it fit. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

laurak712
on 10/19/12 3:28 am - New Braunfels, TX
Well you obviuosly have large tatas girl...mine are not at all...especially after my breast lift 2 years ago :(

Height 5' 7

Crabadams72
on 10/19/12 10:20 am - Silver Spring, MD
The "experts" at VS don't measure well. I worked at a bra shop for a second, go to a higher end department store like Nordstroms and get measured by a woman past 17 w no braces/acne.

The last VS girl had me in a 32c Wrong! My ribcage is 28+4=32 boobs 30. I am a NEGATIVE and VS doesn't have that! I need a 30a basically a training bra!
My waist is 23-24 (water retention) hips 33 and I am a 0/2.

At a size 14 I was. 36-30-42 and able to get in Old Navy 12s
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

laurak712
on 10/19/12 3:21 am - New Braunfels, TX
Ok so I'm 5'7ish and 135lbs... measurements are 35-27-37 and wear mostly size 4 pants but sometimes need a 6 for hips.  Tops are always a small.  I am a 34 C bra with a rib cage measurement of about 29" and across bust 35".

Laura

Height 5' 7

chiefsgirl3
on 10/19/12 3:31 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
So I'm the biggest one here but whatever! Lol. I'm still proud if my accomplishments in 4 1/2 mos!!

Here's my numbers:
Under breasts: 36 1/2
Waist: 38 1/2
Hips: 42

I wear a 10 in old navy, 11/12 in most others (I shop mostly at Rue 21, love their stuff!). And still an occasional 13 in other brands. Oh and 10 in DKNY. I wear a 38c in bras.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views