The Questions

Ladybug C.
on 10/20/12 9:43 am
VSG on 10/11/12
9 days post op and the questions are flying....EVERYBODY wants to know "What did I do?" There's this one woman at my church who is relentless and borderline to making me give her a good tongue lashing . Prior to surgery I made the decision to share my procedure with little to no one. JUST MY PREFERENCE. Reason being is that I could careless to hear the sly remarks and really don't care to share with others my medical history and why I took this route. Most are haters and of course there are those who may genuinely care. Either way I don't care, so my husband and I decided its for us to know and them to find out. So far I've lost about 20lbs and its only been a week since surgery...what will they say in a month?  How has this transition been for you all?

Looking forward to the new ME!       
Jaffe
on 10/20/12 10:25 am - PA
VSG on 03/19/12
Everyone makes their own decision on this one but I think your worry about hearing sly remarks is more likely to come true with people talking about it behind your back.

From the beginning I have told anyone who asks and have found ONLY support and good wishes. Since everyone knows there is no gossip to be had. It's only been extra support and encouragement which is always a good thing. 

Good luck in your journey - everyone finds their own way.

HT:  5' 7"    HW:  249   ConsultW:  238   SW:  218   Preop Loss:  20
  M1:12  2:11  3:7  4:7  5:8  6:8  7:7  8:3  9:0  10:3  11:3  12:4  13:0  14:4  15:

Ladybug C.
on 10/20/12 10:37 am
VSG on 10/11/12
I understand your position....I guess everyone decides to disclose or not to disclose based on their surroundings. As I said, this was a personal decision for me. yes encouragement is good but sometimes you have to encourage yourself.

Pobearsam7
on 10/20/12 10:27 am
 Love your response... I get ask all the time I say diet exercise and my personal trainer I leave out the vsg... I oonly disclose to medical professionals treating me...it's my business and nobody else

Kelly                

Ladybug C.
on 10/20/12 10:34 am
VSG on 10/11/12
Thanks Kelly I feel the same as you

mkate73
on 10/20/12 11:00 am - NC
VSG on 10/23/12
I heard someone ask a guy once how he lost a bunch of weight and he had the best response - he grinned real big and said "tapeworms" and walked away. Everyone laughed and the person who asked just shook her head. It still makes me giggle to think about it!

Truth is, most people don't need a detailed explanation, it's just their way of making sure all is well and letting us know that they notice we are changing. And sometimes, a person may be looking for a way to help themselves -- those folks are just looking for a little hope and direction. If you stick to the decision not to tell, go with your own version of tapeworm-and-and-a-smile instead of the tongue lashing you want to give; life will be a little sweeter for both of you!
sheranfour
on 10/20/12 11:40 am

I told everyone because that's just me...I never DO for just me, and it was time things changed. I'm very lucky that my workplace and my family/friends are very supportive and it's making this journey fun ( for now)...HOWEVER....one day I was in the elevator at work  and someone from another dept got on. He said " I heard you had surgery...what kind? " For some strange reason I looked at him as the elevator opened on my floor..and I said with a straight face " Yes I did have surgery...I'm now a man." and I got off the elevator. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
starry957
on 10/20/12 11:50 am
@ Sheranfour - HA HA....I love that one!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Astro1
on 10/20/12 12:24 pm
!!!!!  Awesome response!!!! This is the best I've heard yet!!! 
71dart
on 10/20/12 9:48 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Whenever it is a busybody asking I always say I've been in Jail, and grin.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views