Motivation? Inspiration?

angelladyclaire
on 10/21/12 4:28 pm - MO
 Hello. I am new to OH and am working toward having VSG. I have had my first meeting with the exercise physiologist and the nutritionist and have been tasked with keeping a one month food and exercise log. We have gone over the basics of what I should be eating in preparation for surgery, i.e. cutting out carbonated beverages, eating less fat, more protein, drinking more water, etc. It feels eerily like I am on a diet... I am having difficulty committing. Anyone else have trouble with this? I understand the point of the exercise, but I'm just still in that self-defeating place. The devil on my shoulder is telling me to eat what I love while I still can. (You'll never get sushi again! You can forget your beloved vanilla Dr. Peppers after this!) If anyone can relate how the pre-op diet prep has helped them post op or offer any words of wisdom, it would be appreciated! 
Terry H.
on 10/22/12 1:38 am
 Well, if it makes you feel better, you can have some sushi (not a lot of rice) and you can certainly have sashimi.  vanilla DP... well, I used to be a diet coke addict.  Honestly I have not had one a single day that I wanted it after I broke the cycle during my required diet period.  I realize that your mileage may vary but that was my experience.  In my mind, the pre-op period is a great time to get some habits in order.  For example, I stopped drinking with meals and that was a good thing when I got to the post-op phase.  I did have some food funerals before I started the liver shrinking diet.  I am happy that I did it, but afterwards my experience is that I am fine with the food I can eat.  Sure, sometimes I'd like to keep eating when the food is tasting good, but give it a few minutes and that feeling passes.  Exercise is a very individual thing but it does help and make you healthier.  I stared before the surgery so that I'd be in the best shape I could be to reduce the possibility of complications and make recovery earlier.  If you can get that started, I'd recommend it.  If you can, find something that you consider "play".  Even if that is walking around the mall and through the shops.  You will thank yourself later.  Always be looking ahead at results and behind at accomplishments and it will make the "now" better.

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 206 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 290 views