3 questions

bob-h
on 10/26/12 9:34 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

I am 3 weeks post op and have a few questions for some vets or anybody else who would like to chime in.

1-  Restriction.  I am now on my pureed stage and can eat 1 whole egg or 4 onces of creamy soup or 3 onces of fish and I do not feel any restriction. Is this normal or am I one of the people that may not feel this?

2- Heart burn. I have never suffered from this until now. It seems like whatever I put in I get some form of heart burn. Also it seems like there is a slight burning sensation or something in my stomach all the time. Now I don't think this is normal.

3- Liquid in liquid out. That was one of my biggest fears that never came to light. for me it is liquid in concrete out, That's if i can get it to come out. I don't want to convert to laxatives for the rest of my life so is there any answers? Thanks. Bob

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

TexasLovely
on 10/26/12 10:21 pm
Hi!

I wasn't able to eat an entire egg, actually it took quite a while to ever be able to eat an entire egg.. I can't eat a lot of fish either. You really can't fill up on soup though.
You won't feel any restriction until you're a little further out, you did have your stomach cut! Best thing to do is measure everything, and eat slowly. Ask yourself if you're satisfied.

I've heard that heartburn is normal, start taking a PPI if you haven't already..

I never had that problem either, although I wish I kind of did.. I still take laxatives at 7 months, but I'm hoping when I add more veggies to my diet that I can get rid of them.. Drinking a lot of water helps in that area too.

Hope this helped a little! Have a nice weekend.
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/26/12 11:23 pm, edited 10/27/12 12:01 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Hi Bob, you and I are at exactly the same stage, except I can start on solids on Tuesday!!!! Yay!!!! I never tried fish during purees except tuna mousse but basically I haven't felt restriction either but I understand its normal. The nerves are still healing. Try to feel your satisfaction point and definitely measure and weigh everything. I do not go over 2.5 oz in a meal/feeding and I feel satisfied. I am also starting to discern signs like little hicups or a twinge in my throat that indicate to me STOP and I do. Are you feeling anything like that?
Now on the liquid in cement out scenario, I had that about two days post op to five days post op. I used glycerine suppositories to get things moving. It worked. Then things have been OK since then. I do eat a spoonfull of pureed chard or cauliflour or broccoli or spinach every day. I have had a normal BM every day since five days after surgery.
If veggies don't do it for you then I suggest stool softeners, rather than laxitives. Things like colace or smooth move tea. And of course ask your doctor for advice. They have been through this many times, they must have some tricks up their sleeve.
Heartburn...hmmm...I read a lot before surgery that this was a common consequence of the VSG. In addition when I woke up and my doc said he had fixed a huge hiatal hernia, I thought for sure I would have heartburn or acid reflux. Well, so far so good! No reflux, no burn! I am taking a PPI for six weeks though so we will see once I stop that what will happen. Fingers crossed. Ask your doc about taking a PPI for heartburn. Maybe measure a bit less on your intake.
Good luck!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

lucy2e
on 10/27/12 12:38 am - Laurel, MD

Hi Bob - here are my answers:

1-  Restriction.  I am now on my pureed stage and can eat 1 whole egg or 4 onces of creamy soup or 3 onces of fish and I do not feel any restriction. Is this normal or am I one of the people that may not feel this?

This is normal.  The food you are eating isn't dense.  When you get moved on to things like chicken, you will notice that you have restriction!

2- Heart burn. I have never suffered from this until now. It seems like whatever I put in I get some form of heart burn. Also it seems like there is a slight burning sensation or something in my stomach all the time. Now I don't think this is normal.

Your stomach needs to adjust the amount of acid it produces and that takes time.  You should be on an acid reducer like Prevacid to help with this.

3- Liquid in liquid out. That was one of my biggest fears that never came to light. for me it is liquid in concrete out, That's if i can get it to come out. I don't want to convert to laxatives for the rest of my life so is there any answers?

Different people have different gut reactions.  I def. was a liquid in liquid out kinda girl.  LOL

My suggestion to you is start taking a probiotic - let some gut flora do some of the work for you!  Later on, once you are eating more regularly - having more fiber in your diet - you will probably eliminate this issue.

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

jacreasy
on 10/27/12 5:52 am
VSG on 04/23/12

I'm 6 months out and down 119 lbs... I agree with Lucy2e, Once you move on to Solids like Chicken, Beef you will and should feel more restriction... Heartburn you should talk to your doc about that and if you have it deff take a PPI for it. As for the bathroom at first you will be stopped up and drinking a lot of mush and liquids its going to be mush and liquids.  When you get to solids it will be better, hang in there each day/week gets better! Good Luck!wink

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views