What would you ask your surgeon?

KittyKarin
on 10/28/12 11:09 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

HI there!

I have an appointment with my surgeon on November 8th to set up my surgery date.  I wanted some suggestions on what questions I need to make sure I ask my surgeon at this stage in the game.  I know I want to ask what size she is going to be making my stomach. I heard the term "bougie" on here and i think that's the instrument that she will insert into my stomach and cut around???  I also want to know if she thinks I'll be sent home with a drain... Did any of you have one?

Are there any other questions you asked your surgeon or things you wished you asked your surgeon when you were in the last stages of the pre-op?

Thanks everyone! Happy Monday!

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

mimij
on 10/28/12 11:19 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I asked where my incisions would be, I asked about drain-I did not have one, I asked about urinary catheter- I did have one, I asked about Bougie size- I think everyone is concerned about knowing that, right? My surgeon uses a 34 because she has found there are less complications with strictures and nausea and vomiting. I asked about technique of making the new stomach and how she reduces the chance for stricture and leak. I asked about time off work. We talked about preop diet and the prep 2 days before surgery. We talked about possible complications and her complication rates. I am a nurse and I was just certain that I would come away with some horrible complication, but I didn't. I know doctors shiver when they have nurses or doctors for patients because it seems if anyone is going to have a complication, it will be us.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

KittyKarin
on 10/28/12 11:23 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Thanks Mimi! Great advice.  I am writing those things down in my little surgery notebook and will definitely be firing lots of questions at her next week! :-)

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Keywester
on 10/29/12 12:42 am
VSG on 12/05/12

My surgery is scheduled for 12/5, but the question I asked my surgeon was "What is your mortality rate?"  but then again I also told him I wasn't crazy about having my insides rearranged and I hated needles so the band and RNY were both out as options.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views