am I a food snob now? or aware? lol

kristen D.
on 11/2/12 3:16 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12

it's amazing what a few months of changes will do. anytime I'm in a store i pick up foods that I once adored and look at the labels, it disgusts me now! I can't believe what I put into my body before! Then I'll be sitting in the office watching what others are eating or how they eat it and I have to stop myself from telling them what I've learned. I do keep my opinions/thoughts/experiences to myself but I'm so happy to see the differences and changes in myself and the awareness that I now have!! :)  

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/2/12 3:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
If you are, then I am too. I also really notice contents of shopping carts and the huge portions of food people shovel in and have to bite my tongue - reminding myself that I used to eat just as much, if not more...

It's funny that now when serving my meals I'm always looking for the smallest portion or cutting off a small part of a portion for myself. I'll admit here in public that I used to take as much as I thought I could get away with...

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

71dart
on 11/2/12 4:10 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
You're not a snob because you keep it to yourself.

Now when I encounter these situations, I think back and get a little sad. Then I am thankful for where I am now and pray I do not find myself there again.

Linda B.
on 11/2/12 5:57 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I think it is good to have that awareness. I had to be in a city an hour away for a follow up appointment at my surgeon's office, and ran some errands after. The errands took way longer than I thought and I knew if I stopped at Trader Joe's hungry, it would not be good. So, I stopped at a Vitamin Shoppe for a protein bar, after reading labels, most are just as bad as a snickers. I did find one and managed to finish my shopping without loading my cart with crap, but if I didn't read the labels, I would have had a sugar and carb overload, and would have probably triggered myself into loading the cart with crap. And, TJ's has some wonderful tasting  yummy food that is crap for us. So, all this to say, I don't think you are a snob, I think you are aware.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

kristen D.
on 11/2/12 6:23 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12

Thanks you!!!

Laci M.
on 11/2/12 7:03 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I'm starting to do the same thing.  Every time I go shopping, I'm looking at the sugar count.  If it's over 3 grams (give or take), I'm mortified...sugar does not mix well with my sleeve.  I'll pick something up, see the sugars and be like "UGH"...I never thought I'd be a label reader.  The times they are a'changing.

Cwuddy
on 11/2/12 9:34 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

I am amazed at how I've changed with what I feel the whole family!  I make my own food like chicken fingers or meatballs or w/e main dish b/c I just can't feed my kids all the chemicals in the store bought prepared foods..its' more work but SO worth it and I love how much better I feel about the choices i make for my sleeve and for my family!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

TSinNC
on 11/2/12 12:01 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

We are able to so little, and must get so much out of it, that focusing on quality makes sense. Doesn't make you a food snob, but does make you a smart, healthier consumer!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

kristen D.
on 11/2/12 11:23 pm - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12

thank you!!! i like that - healthier consumer!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 362 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views