Syntrax Matrix?

Fallenangel2904
on 11/8/12 4:25 am - NY
VSG on 11/14/12

Just a quick question, I was looking at protein powders and I noticed Syntrax Matrix line is slightly cheaper then Nectar (since I'm on a bit of a budget right now every dollar counts lol) I know Matrix is a blend of whey isolate and regular whey and Nectar is pure isolate,and I know the isolate is suppose to be the best. I was just wondering if there is really a big difference and if isolate and whey mixed brands like Matrix were still okay for us bariatric patients? I know a lot of you drink the Matrix brand that's why I'm asking. Any input?

Robin- Post Op- Surgery November 14th 2012
HW:379 SW:359 CW:272 GW:199

dmhe
on 11/8/12 5:17 am - TX

I use both Nectar and Matrix, but I really like the Mint Cookie Mint Matrix.  I have not tried any other Matrix flavors, but they are a little higher in calories.  I probably will buy some others since  you can get them in a 5lbs off of Amazon.  I mix the Mint Cookie with Unsweetened Almond Milk or with decaf coffee.

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/8/12 5:24 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I really like Mint Cookie. Yumm

I also like the Chocolate Truffle mixed with milk and a scoop of PB2. My protein shake hating daughter will drink that and says it tastes like melted peanut butter cup ice cream.

The Vanilla Bean Torte makes an amazing latte. I'm currently sipping a pumpkin spice latte with that in and it sure doesn't taste anything like a diet.

I drink the nectors as well, but generally I prefer to just factor the calories into my day and have the creamy ones mixed with milk.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

VerucaSallt
on 11/8/12 6:21 am - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with

I will have to try those concoctions!

sevencats
on 11/8/12 8:37 am

I have three right now--mint cookie, cookies and cream, and a cappuccino nectar latte.  The nectar cost more, but also has more scoops.  And the nutrition info is different for all of them.  For example, cookies & cream has 26 scoops, with each scoop at 140 cal's, 6 carbs, 23 protein.  Cappuccino has 32.5 scoops, each with 100 cals, 0 carbs, 23 protein.  So in this case, the nectar has 6 extra servings.  Depending on the prices you're finding, you can figure the cost per serving.

In terms of flavor, I like them all, but the cappuccino is currently my favorite.  Cuz I'm pre-VSG and have no difficulty getting in fluids, I generally mix a scoop with 1 cup unsw almond milk AND one cup water or ice.  A nice, light coffee drink.  And syntrax cappuccino doesn't have caffeine for those for whom that's an issue.

I've also found that the cookies and creme is kinda multi-purpose; because it's really more creme than cookie, I can use it as a kind of vanilla to mix in sugar free syrups.

Fallenangel2904
on 11/8/12 8:57 am - NY
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks for the info everyone! I was just worried that the whey concentrate wouldn't' be as good for me as isolate, or even cause me to get sick or something. Hmm still going to ponder whether it's worth it to buy the Nectar. Thanks everyone!

Robin- Post Op- Surgery November 14th 2012
HW:379 SW:359 CW:272 GW:199

Pura Vida
on 11/8/12 9:54 am - Costa Rica

I am almost 4 years out and I still have two Nectar Chocolate truffle hot chocolates everyday. I did try the Matrix and other products by Syntrax and I gained 7 lbs, I didn't really pay attention to the other labels and did not realize they were for bodybuilding and were higher in carbs and calories. 

Remember that Nectar has 0 sugar and 0 carbs, and that is a good thing! I should buy stock in the chocolate truffle!

Heather

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 429 views