So many band removals! why?

swizzlequeen
on 11/9/12 7:01 am

It is so disheartening to see that so very many of our banded colleagues have problems, or are somehow dissatisfied with their band results...

Any thoughts about why that is? Why does it seem that there are so many?

What do you all predict will be the future re: band vs sleeve vs RNY vs DS? (forgive me if I've omitted some).

In the meantime, I hope that all of the band patients get their needs met...

karismommy231
on 11/9/12 8:03 am
VSG on 11/05/12

I went in for the Lapband and my surgeon says he will not do them anymore....too many complications. I just got the sleeve. My prediction is the sleeve over the band. I would never get banded now! Thank goodness I got the VSG

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

swizzlequeen
on 11/9/12 8:37 am

karismommy231,

Did he say what kinds of complications?

It's interesting because the VSG is much more extensive surgery...

karismommy231
on 11/9/12 8:44 am
VSG on 11/05/12
Oh yes. first was slippage esp someone my age (I plan on more pregnancies). but slippage rate even not due to pregnancy is high. second was stomach erosion at the band site. third was monthly adjustments that are not covered by insurance. fourth was irritation at the port site. fifth was that not many ppl are successful in losing the weight they desire with the band. the Sleeve is a permanent solution. It is restrictive but not malabsorptive like the rxy bypass. that's why I decided in the sleeve. Far less complications and faster results.

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

Urseo
on 11/9/12 8:46 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/12

When I requested my referral for VSG from my primary care physician, she commented on my choice, saying, "Everyone I have referred for a Lap-Band has had complications.  Every one of them."  When I discussed my options with my surgeon, he also had a low opinion of the Band.  He will do them, if the patient believes it to be the right choice, but he said they were popular because it's a surgeon's cash register- a surgeon can crank out ten of those procedures in a day.  The cost is lower than a RNY or VSG, and it's reversible.  So, very appealing to the patient and surgeon both.

Meanwhile, the individual has a foreign body in their body, and still produces grehlin.  The restriction works really well against *solid* foods, like partially-chewed broccoli, but ice cream and frappacinos will slip right past.  Also, it's not meant to stay in forever.  I think I read that they have a life span of about 8 years.  When I researched it as an option, I wondered, "and then what?"

For the future?  All I can say is, I am loving my sleeve.  I feel like it's given me some control without owning me.  But I had to commit to it, and really come to terms with altering my body permanently.  That was scary.  I understand the appeal of the Band as a less drastic commitment, and it probably works well for many people; we just hear the horror stories.

pineview01
on 11/9/12 8:54 am - Davison, MI

Come check out the group, failed Lap band and the revision boards.  Many of us have our stories posted there.  You can even find many of the issues by checking out the band board.  There are five or six there that are long timers, 5-8 years.  The band is not the Bill of goods they sold us. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

califsleevin
on 11/9/12 9:22 am - CA

The bands are a massively over-promoted procedure, primarily because it is the only one that has the backing of surgical device manufacturers (Allergan and Johnson & Johnson) which can provide a widespread integrated marketing support for their products. The other major WLS procedures don't involve any major proprietary devices, so marketing of these procedures is generally limited to individual surgical practices and hospitals. It is also marketed as an easy, no-hassle road to weight loss, often to people who aren't that serious about making the lifestyle changes that need to be made along with WLS to make the process a success.

The bands have long been marketed as being a quick and simple procedure with a low surgical complication rate, which is generally true; what isn't discussed much is that while most surgical procedures, including the other mainstream WLS procedures, will have a small initial complication rate that is common with most any surgical procedures (maybe 1-2%) that declines over time, the bands have a similar small initial complication rate that increases over time as incompatibilities and device failures occur (slippages, erosion, etc.) Add to this the recurring cost of fills and unfills which many patients don't keep up with for one reason or another.

As to the future of the other procedures, I would expect the sleeve to continue to take market share away from the RNY as it is a simpler procedure that offers very similar performance on weightloss, regain resistance and resolution of comorbidities at a lower cost in lifestyle and medical treatment limitations. More and more docs are offering the sleeve as they can see the market for the RNY declining.

I would expect that the DS will remain fairly steady as it is a more challenging procedure for the surgeons to do, which somewhat limits the numbers offering the procedure. However, there may be some increase in DS numbers given that it uses the sleeve as its basis so there may be more patients who will see the DS as the obvious "stronger" choice if they don't feel that the sleeve alone is adequate for their needs.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

swizzlequeen
on 11/9/12 11:34 am

Hello All,

Thank you for your very detailed and helpful responses.

I am just speechless right now thinking about this...

Again, I hope that the Band patients get what they need, and are well taken care of...

At first when I was considering WLS I thought about the band because my friend has that, and also it is what I hear on the radio, see on billboards...but then I started to hear about the sleeve, and to research it. I decided that initially, the Band is a much simpler surgery, but the Band lifestyle did not appeal to me...I did not want to have to worry about eating asparagus, or other fibrous stringy foods, for fear that it would block the whole works, for example. As I got to know more about the sleeve, I realized that while it is a more extensive surgery, that over the long haul it was actually a more "elegant" solution because a sleeve patient has a wide variety of food choices that will not comprimise the healthy and normal functioning of the modified stomach, and there are no fills to worry about, or worries about food getting stuck, and I still don't know exactly what happens if a Band patient gets the flu and needs to vomit...(we are all good friends here on this board, and we are adults, and we have explored things like our bowel functions and urination functions, so I am going to go ahead and say that I was afraid that, with the Band, if I needed  ever to vomit -- an idea that even by itself horrifies me--  that I would not be able to fully and quickly empty my stomach of whatever was bothering it...it is this last concern that really lead me to the sleeve).

My adventure towards actually having surgery is still unfolding. I have been struck by the numbers of people -- just on this board alone -- *****port plans to do revision from lapband...

==swizzlequeen

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/12 6:52 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

The band was a good idea in theory. It sounded too good to be true. Restriction without having to alter the body--it could be reversed if needed--and you could have it tightened or loosened as needed. I used to think it was permanent and a life long tool too. However, a lot of people who get the band have a lot of problems. Not being able to swallow saliva--having to live off of slider foods which are unhealthy--expensive fills. Slippage and erosion...the list goes on and on. The fact that many people have to have theirs taken out due to problems is a big indicator that it is not a permanent tool at all. It is temporary. If they could make a band that stayed in--could be filled to perfect restriction without having to go back for fills--and not have ANY side effects then it would be great. But no such band exists. It is a deeply flawed "tool" imho for most. I have seen some very successful lap banders but I do worry about their future if they rely on it. Will they be able to keep it for 20 years without nary an issue with optimum restriction? I think the one who does is a very rare bird indeed.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 82 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views