Pain Level after surgery

Lindalou1812
on 11/8/12 5:40 am - WA

I am scheduled for my VSG surgery Monday 11/12/2012 and I am worried about the pain that may come after surgery. May sound stupid but since they are removing 75% of my stomach will I feel pain from that??? Or just the entry spots? 

Any help is so appreciated!!!

Thanks

Linda

DominiqueFrancon
on 11/8/12 6:12 am - IN
VSG on 10/24/12

I think everybody is different in this regard.  But I can tell you my experience.  I'm only 15 days out. 

I had very little pain from the incision sites.  Honestly, only for maybe 2 days, and it wasn't that bad.  The majority of my pain was more internal in the epigastric region.  Kind of a heartburn-y feeling.  But the pain meds took care of it.  It slowly receded, and I took my last pain pill on day 9 or 10.  No pain at all after that. 

Laci M.
on 11/8/12 6:28 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I have an intensely LOW tolerance for pain.  I can honestly tell you that right after surgery and for the next few days, I was sore.  It hurt to get in and out of bed and to stand up straight.  But, it wasn't horrible.  I was amazed at how good I actually felt.  I was more tired than in pain.

Of course, everyone is different.  

All I can say is that I wish you luck and remember to take it easy!!

RLC_40
on 11/8/12 6:29 am - KY

My pain  was more from the incision site, but underneath the skin, like in the muscle.  I had a hernia repair too though, so that might be why my pain was so bad.  It was literally a month to the day after surgery before I had my first pain-free day.  I had surgery on Sept 12th and Oct 12th was the first day I felt absolutely no tugging or pulling underneath the incisions. But everyone is different!

Good luck.  Your surgery date will be my 2 month post-op date.  I am down 28 lbs.  so far.  It's quite the experience:)

lillypie9
on 11/8/12 6:32 am
VSG on 11/02/12

I was on a narcotic (Dilaudid) right after surgery so no pain then, but it made me nauseated so I requested a non-narcotic that they put in my IV. No pain with that either, just really kind of a dull ache. Since I left the hospital this past Sunday, I've been on no pain meds at all.

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/8/12 6:38 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I actually had no incisional pain at all, but did have several bouts of pretty bad gas pain (left shoulder) and nausea during my first 2 days. Other than that I was fine, and was able to sleep curled up on my side by the third night.

A week after surgery there was a thread about any discomfort we were having. My only complaint was about a rash I got from the tape...

Honestly, you may have pain. If so - don't be a martyr - take the drugs.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

emelar
on 11/8/12 6:39 am - TX

Practically no pain from the incision sites.  You'll feel pain sometimes around the incision sites where they stitched your abdominal wall back together again.  It's usually a brief, stabby pain, then it stops.

Stomach just feels and sounds weird.  It may spasm. It's definitely gonna make noises!  But it's much more of a sore feeling that a true feeling of pain.  Gas pains really plague some folks, so walk as much as you can.  And take your pain meds!

prairie-dog-girl
on 11/8/12 6:39 am

I know everyone is different. I was sleeved 10-29 and no incision pain whatsoever. Just some generalized tenderness when I got up.Good luck to you!

simmie78
on 11/8/12 7:07 am
I felt great about 12hrs after surgery.no real pain, gasy, but nothing that wasn't coming out. I can feel the incision, the bottom one where they pull the stomach out is the worst. But like other said, it's more of a tug/pull/sharp pain and it's gone. There was some left shoulder pain, which was gas and also a heaviness in my chest, from being put under and acid reflux...nothing that gat be handled.

Also I didn't have pain killer for over 12 hrs...they gave them to me to go to sleep, but during the day, I was on my own and didn't relaly need them...

Today is starting my second full day in the hospital (not including surgery day. I should be going home this afternoon! I'll be asking for drugs judt in case can never be too safe! Good luck and trynot to stress too much...I did and it was a total waste of energy!

Oh...the new stomach feels weird, bu not painful!
SuzyNZ
on 11/8/12 7:48 am
VSG on 09/17/12
I had a little bit of shoulder pain immediately after I woke up (but nothing worse than a muscle pull type pain). This was gone within about 4 hours as I walked a lot and every hour.

I was off all pain meds within 3 days and felt totally fine.

I did pull a tummy muscle at 7 days (felt so great, I forgot I had surgery and bent over to pick something up without thinking), that was a bit sore for a week or so, but again, just like a pulled muscle.

I was amazed at how great I felt. Seriously wondered if I had actually had it done at all!!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views