How I survived a cruise after VSG

toniosmom
on 11/13/12 7:21 pm

I haven't posted in a little while, partly because I had no power for a week (thank you Hurricane Sandy) and then last week I was away on a cruise.  I was sleeved on 8/15, so being just under 3 months out, I was a little nervous about the cruise.  I have been very lucky and have been able to tolerate all kinds of food, just smaller quantities.  I was determined not to sabotage myself, but I wasn't going to deprive myself as well.  This was my mindset going in.  What I found was that it was much easier to eat properly than I had thought it would be.  I am so used to eating proteins first that it was second nature to me.  Did I go over my usual carb count?  Well, of course I did, but I didn't go wacko and gorge myself.  You know why?  I couldn't even if I wanted to!  My sleeve reminded me at every single meal that SHE is the boss and if I didn't stop eating, I would be sorry.  By sticking to proteins first, I was getting the healthier foods in first and then I would have a forkful here and there or something not-so-healthy.  Yes, I visited the chocolate buffet and had a few forkfuls of some decadent treats, but that made me happy and I walked away from my barely-touched plate of food.  

For the first time on any cruise, I visited the Fitness Center.  I walked in and saw that each and every elliptical and treadmill was occupied, so I went outside and walked on the outdoor jogging track.  It was nice to walk in the sun with a beautiful tropical breeze encouraging me along.  With each lap, I felt energized and excited about my new life post-VSG.  It was a great way to start every day.

On a side note, we did a dolphin excursion (which was awesome).  The big news is that I had to put on a wetsuit.  I'm far from wetsuit fitness, but I am feeling so good about my progress that I happily donned that evil garment and didn't care what I looked like in it.  I was there to enjoy the experience and enjoy it I did.  Yay me.

So what was the damage?  I weighed myself the day I left and the day I came home -- I gained one pound.  One day later, that pound was gone, plus another half pound.  

I lost the contents of my refrigerator and freezer from the extended power loss, so I am in the process of restocking.  It feels pretty good to start from scratch again and continue my commitment to better health and well-being.  I am feeling good and am so happy that I had VSG surgery.  If I hadn't, I have no doubt that I would be still gaining -- that cruise would have resulted in about 10 lbs of additional fat on my already-fat body.

Life is getting better every day. 

mimij
on 11/13/12 8:33 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Sounds like you managed everything well and had a great time in the process. I am glad you had a good time.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

KnitsByMama
on 11/13/12 9:42 pm - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I'll be cruising in May, so I will be 7 months post-op so it's good to know that even at 3mo you could do it!  

sleevegirl
on 11/13/12 9:49 pm - Austin, TX

I think you did awesome! I would have done the same thing on a cruise, you maintained for that week, basically (that pound was pure sodium I bet LOL). Way to go. Honestly, I think long term, being able to handle yourself in these situations is really where the "success" is :) xoxo

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

toniosmom
on 11/13/12 9:56 pm
On November 14, 2012 at 5:49 AM Pacific Time, sleevegirl wrote:

I think you did awesome! I would have done the same thing on a cruise, you maintained for that week, basically (that pound was pure sodium I bet LOL). Way to go. Honestly, I think long term, being able to handle yourself in these situations is really where the "success" is :) xoxo

I completely agree.  To be able to face challenging cir****tances and handle them without guilt or deprivation is all I have ever wanted.  I consider the week a great success.  Thank you for your support!  xoxo

sleevegirl
on 11/13/12 10:23 pm - Austin, TX

Keep up the good attitude - and get right back on the wagon. THAT's the hard part for some (for me too when I really go off the rails). I'm glad you had a great vacation!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

howarli
on 11/13/12 10:21 pm - MD

Great post. Great lifestyle change.

louisamay
on 11/13/12 11:19 pm
VSG on 04/27/12

That was my experience when we went to Hawaii 8 weeks post-sleeve.  It was awesome--right down to our snorkel cruise where I was in a swim suit and didn't care that I wasn't slim (yet)!

I ate my protein, and some meals were just like at home (we had a kitchen so that was easy).  But when we went out, I ate small portions, protein first, didn't sweat the carbs or calories.  Didn't gain weight. Didn't lose. Stayed about the same, and the first week after lost several pounds quickly.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

beach_mama
on 11/14/12 12:33 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Good job to you!!  I was sleeved a day after you and I'm heading to Fla for two weeks in Feb. whi*****ludes a cruise so it's really nice to hear someone else say that they did fine!  I know I can too now.

Congrats!

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/12 10:28 am - Lake Charles, LA
VSG on 06/05/12
Thank you so much for posting this! I'm going on my first 7 day cruise on November 25 (my honeymoon!!). I'm almost 6 months post op and I had decided to go in with the same mindset. Protein first of course. I can't wait, and I'm so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views