Been a long time...

blessmysunnysoul
on 11/19/12 10:13 am - rio dell, CA

I have not checked in here for a very long time but found out some news today that made me want to come back to my weight loss surgery board roots.....

When I was sleeved july 2007 my insurance company was one of the only ones covering sleeves...I found out today that Medicare is now covering sleeves!!

This is monumental not only in the fact that the poor have a choice now but that insurance companies will be forced to cover them as well!!

http://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/nca-decision-memo.aspx?NCAId=258&NcaName=Bariatric+Surgery+for+the+Treatment+of+Morbid+Obesity&Time

Im so happy!!

All that spirits desire, spirits attain. 

cmfs76
on 11/19/12 10:23 am

I am new here and can not find my way around. I have been trying to get the sleeve for almost a yr now with two ins UH and BCBS and they want cover it at all. looking into going to Dr Alvarez in Mexico. It does up set me that me and my husband work hard and pay for ins and they want help with any of it.

blessmysunnysoul
on 11/19/12 10:30 am - rio dell, CA

I think u should reapply for the procedure u want...i think its so lame that insurance wont cover the sleeve...but now that medicare is covering them as a stand alone lap surgery i know insurance companies will have to start complying in the same...

blessmysunnysoul
on 11/19/12 10:34 am - rio dell, CA

by the way...dr a is a fine surgeon...i have the privilege of having met him before and know many who have gone to him and love him! He has a fine rep...

Crabadams72
on 11/19/12 10:31 am - Silver Spring, MD
Both BCBS and UHC cover the sleeve IF your employer has selected to cover bariatric surgery.

If not, Mexico is a option many choose.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Janetisshrinking
on 11/19/12 11:13 am

Well. I am glad to help the poor and believe in social justice BUT when I went to the weight loss seminar here in Missouri, a cheer went through the room when they said Medicare people would pay just 200 dollars out of pocket for gastric bypass.  

My lame ass insurance would not pay one dime for me to get surgery. I am still in good health without diabetes, hypertension, etc so I am out of luck. My cost for local surgeon bypass was going to be $25,000 of my own money. How about helping the middle class people who are unable to cough up $25,000? Needless to say, I am headed to Dr. Alvarez in Mexico. Oh and the people on Medicare and Medicaid were getting surgery with NO out of pocket expense at all.  

I believe in helping the poor, but this was a bitter pill to swallow. 

downhome
on 11/19/12 10:34 pm

Just wondering ......... Have you been able to keep the weight off over the years?

blessmysunnysoul
on 12/2/12 3:15 am - rio dell, CA

I have!!! I have lost and maintained for 5 years!! 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 242 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 310 views