Mexican Surgery

Rms928
on 11/25/12 12:18 pm
VSG on 03/20/13

Due to lack of insurance I am forced to pay out of pocket for surgery. I've contacted a doctor here in New Jersey and was told it will cost $14,000.00 for gastric sleeve. I also did some research and found many surgeons in Mexico for prices ranging from $4500.00 to $8000.00.  I've heard both good and bad about surgery in Mexico. Can anyone give me some advice. Is it worth saving 50%-75%?

mickeymantle
on 11/25/12 2:18 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you go to Mexico make shore that you find a doctor near where you live that will treat you after the surgery

many doctors including mine will not take on a patient  that had surgery in Mexico

you may need local help if there are complications after you get home and follow ups

most people need support groups and check ups every few months

find out what kind of care you will get there , is it in a hospital?

do the doctors and nurses speak English unless you speak Spanish

what is the cost of flying there/ and staying in a hotel  

Julie L.
on 11/25/12 2:21 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

For me it was very worth it.   The level of care I received there was great,  my husband and I agreed that it was much better than the care I received in local hospitals here even.  

pineview01
on 11/25/12 2:47 pm - Davison, MI

Check out the Mexico boards.  Lots of great info about the good and bad.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

mickeymantle
on 11/25/12 2:50 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i m shore there are great hospitals and doctors in Mexico, but try and get as much info about any that you are considering for your surgery, i don't know where in Mexico you can check on law suits or malpractice , do they have something like the ama tha hat you can check with to see if the doctors are any good, try to talk to some patents if possible

check with the U>S> state department if the area in Mexico is safe foe Americas to travel to  ( drug wars)

hope you find your answers 

Smiley_23
on 11/25/12 2:51 pm
VSG on 11/26/12

I live in a border town, Laredo, TX. My surgeon advertises $8500 if paying out of pocket. Your insurance should be able to any pre-op tests and labwork. Message me if you want my doctor's info so you can get more info. I will be going in to surgery tomorrow so please be patient as it may take me a while to get back to you. GOOD LUCK!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/25/12 2:56 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Lots and lots of successful sleeve surgeries in Mexico. The follow up may be an issue but unless you need surgical follow up, I would think your PCP is enough. I had surgery in Canada and live in France/Switzerland and there is no issue with follow up. People are very mobile these days. Best of luck in your research.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

3cboys
on 11/25/12 6:59 pm - Purcellville, VA
I went to Mexico to Dr Alvarez....it was awesome. He is about 5 minutes over the border from Texas. He was written up in Newsweek and he does husbands of sleeves..... Many more than my surgeon in Va... I got much better care there than I ever would have in the US.. They offer a package that includes everything you need for around $9000..... All you have to do is get your plane ticket.... Very safe, they all speak perfect English .....best medical experience I have had. Order his book ....in terms of follow up, he is available anytime through email and this forum is more valuable to me than the nutritionist that I have paid a fortune for who has never had the surgery. Good luck... Check him out at endobariatric.com ..... You will not be disappointed!!
hollirrose
on 11/25/12 8:20 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
Im a mexican sleever and posted my entire experience on the Mexico forum. To me it was totally worth it. I could not have had it done in the states because of the cost. I am down oddles of pounds (143) over the last 7 months and did not have any complications. I do my follow up care with my regular pcp. I also have access to local support groups, if I wanted to go. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Good luck with your decision.
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/12 9:55 pm - CO
VSG on 09/20/12

Hello,

I had my sleeve done in Mexico! It was the best decision of my life. I have been following the MX boards for a while and generally went with a doctor that was very well known in the WLS community. I think if you do your homework and make sure you have aftercare in place you should be fine. 

Don't just go with the cheapest surgeon you can find. DO YOUR RESEARCH and save yourself any headaches or worse...

Goodluck! if you have any q's let me know. My surgeon was Dr. Aceves in Mexicali.

~Cheers

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views