VETS: When do people generally stop commenting on your loss?

goingforit1
on 12/2/12 5:52 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with

I've been within the same 10 lbs range for 4 months and I'm curious when people might stop commenting on the loss.  I've been stable and only have a few lbs (6) left to lose (still 2 months from my surgiversary so it's still possible) but have stayed in the same size for about 4 months.  Every week when I have meetings with people I see every week I still get 4-5 comments on how great I look, how skinny I'm getting, etc.  I'm still uncomfortable with the attention (Fat girl syndrome, I guess) but I kindly thank them and go on my way. 

Will the attention die down soon?  I truly don't mind the "great dress!" or "You look fantastic" but it's the weight centered comments that make me feel so self-conscious.  Maybe I just can't get over the embarrassment of being so large for so long, maybe it's the guilt I feel when a heavy person comments because I keep my surgery a secret, maybe I'm just not used to getting props for my BODY...I'm not sure.  Probably a combination of all of the above.  But seriously, do people stop commenting on your size after about a year, 1 1/2 years?  WHEN?  lol

HW: 248  CW: 151  GW: 145

acbbrown
on 12/2/12 1:15 pm - Granada Hills, CA

At 18 months out, I still get daily comments pretty much. Its usually the same 3-5 people who just cant stop talking about it, but I still run into a lot of people who havent seen me for a while so its a frequent conversation. I have no idea how long these people can keep thinking about it!! Its almost....creepy?

When i go back to work though - I am going to be starting at square one - but at least I can talk about my new boobs :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

sheranfour
on 12/2/12 7:03 pm

Funny thing about boobs( TMI WARNING!!!!)...I said to my sister that I'm nervous losing this weight because when my stomach no longer holds up my boobs...who knows what they'll look like!!indecision

As far as people commenting...I only now can relate. I'm so new to this experience, and not even 3 months out from WLS yet, but yesterday people I work with were staring at ne walk down the hall with big creeepy smiles on...and were very loud abt my progress...AWKWARD!

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Pura Vida
on 12/2/12 7:12 pm - Costa Rica

I am four years out and I still get the "you look great" from people who have known me a long time, but most people just think I am naturally "normal" and treat me that way. Once a skinny girl even said to me that she needed to lose 7lbs, and I didn't know how to respond and she leaned in and whispered to me, "You know 7lbs is a lot for girls like us"  I was shocked! If she only knew I have lost 132!!!!

It'll die down, and when it does, you will be missing it!

bob-h
on 12/2/12 8:14 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

I lost my complete chain of thought at.   NEW BOOBS.       

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

Alexis K.
on 12/2/12 10:06 pm
VSG on 07/30/12

I was wondering the same thing. When close friends comment on my weight loss I'm totally fine with it. They know I had surgery, and the two that comment most (both of whom are WONDERFUL!) are also quite overweight so they comment very tastefully. But at work, it bothers me. Only my boss and my other HR coworker know I had surgery and really, it's not something I care to talk about with anyone but them. I like the people I work with, but I feel my weight is none of their business.

Becky T.
on 12/2/12 11:23 pm - MN
VSG on 06/04/12
I was actually wondering the same thing. In fact was just telling my husband this weekend that I can't wait for my weight loss to be "old news". I am so happy I had my surgery & have had a great journey, but I am ready for it not to be the topic of conversation all the time. I just want my obesity and unhappiness to be in the past and want to move forward. I feel wonderful, I have a ton of energy, my relationship with my husband has improved, i just feel great all around! ... & there's no looking back!

5'4"  HW: 222   SW: 212   GW: 140   CW range: 118-123    

kanga003
on 12/3/12 2:40 am

I am 17 months out and it has calmed down a lot (unless they are people that I haven't seen in a long time)... But now I am heading back up the scale... I'm almost 5 months pregnant with my first biological child (I'm already a blessed mommy to a 5.5 year old adopted daughter)... super excited!

I will admit, I don't love how all of my extra skin makes the baby bump more, um, interesting, but I am just glad that you can tell it is a baby bump at all!  I was 315 at my high, and now, 5 months pregnant I am still firmly in onderland... at least for now :)  And I know I will get back where I want to be after the baby comes, or at least a healthy new normal :)

RHCP
on 12/3/12 2:53 am - Poughkeepsie, NY

I am 1yr 8 mo out...I still get comments...not as ofton...but it is always fun running into people who have not seen me..I'v had a few old friends who completely did not recognize me and I had to tell them who I was. I changed positions at work and moved back to a old office I havent worked in since before the surgery- there have been people who I had to show my old picture of -BC they would be like we never met- and I was like yes we did I used to work at the Front Desk- and they don't remember me until they see the picture. HA HA MY old roommate also told me a while back "It's funny..I don't think of you as the old big RHCP, when I think of you it's always the skinny one." THAT made me feel great..and weird cause there are many day's I still feel like that BIG girl.

UnRuli
on 12/3/12 6:02 am - Plainwell, MI

I'm now almost 2 1/2 years out and I still occasionally get comments.....mostly from people I haven't seen in a long time.  I don't mind it......after all, it really created a massive difference in my appearance and people are sure to comment.

Heck, I still don't recognize MYSELF in the mirror sometimes!  I haven't been this weight since Junior High School so the look for me is something pretty foreign.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 460 views