For those of us who have trouble eating chicken

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/4/12 2:40 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
A few weeks ago someone posted a recipe for cooking chicken in the crockpot with enchilada sauce that was delicious. (I don't remember who you are, but thank you!) The chicken was so moist and tender that I had no trouble eating 2 ounces - which for me is a LOT of chicken.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm down with a cold and have no appetite at all, but know I still need my protein and fluids, so was drinking a shake when I remembered the crockpot chicken. I shuffled down to the freezer for a packet of chicken breasts, thawed them in the nuker, cut them into bite sized pieces and dumped them into the crockpot with a jar of sf marinara sauce. Other than stirring the mixture a couple of times during the day I ignored it.

When Lovey got home I made a pot of brown rice, measured 2 ounces of chicken into my tiny bowl and shredded it, scooped on a bit of the sauce and called it my supper. (Didn't bother with the rice for myself) Well! Even with no sense of smell it was darned good, and that 2 ounces took me to the "comfortably full" point instead of the miserably stuffed point that the same amount of grilled chicken would.

Next time I think I'll use Patak's Butter Chicken paste with enough water to make it soupy. Cooking the chicken in an acidic sauce without sautéing it first makes a HUGE difference in me being able to get down enough to make a real difference in my protein intake for the day.

Once again - thank you to the original poster!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

danixbanani
on 12/4/12 2:43 am, edited 12/4/12 2:43 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

the crockpot is the best invention EVER for WLS patients lol.  I do all kinds of different chicken dishes in there, BBQ sauce, Buffalo Sauce, creamy sauces, etc you name it!  Also good with pork!  It's hard to mess anything up in the crock pot

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/4/12 3:00 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Please share your recipes? I've had a crockpot forever, but didn't really use it except for soup. I have the limitation of not being able to eat any "meat" at all other than chicken, turkey and finny fish, so am SO grateful for any ideas for getting those down.

Today's effort will be porcupine turkey meatballs from the freezer cooked in a simple tomato sauce. I'll probably have more of the chicken myself, but Barry really loves the meatballs. (I can only eat 1 - need to find a way to make them less dense) I wonder - would it work better to cook those in a sauce from raw instead of baking them first? (The ones in the freezer were already baked, but I could try raw next time)

mimij
on 12/4/12 4:07 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I am not sure if this is similar to the enchilada chicken recipe, but I made this the other night

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts into crockpot. You can cut them if you like. I didn't. I shredded them after fully cooked.

1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup

8 oz salsa

Depending on heat of your crock pot, cook til meat is tender and almost falling apart. I cooked mine 4 hrs on low.

At the end, mix in 4 oz of plain greek yogurt for extra protein. Heat just enough so yogurt is not cold. Or you could top your portion with dollop of yogurt at mealtime. Like I said I shredded all of my chicken and portioned out 2 oz parcels for meals. My husband loved this recipe and he dipped tortilla chips in it. If someone eats tortillas or anything like that it would be great. Could wrap in lettuce leaves as well. You could dice the chicken instead.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

acbbrown
on 12/4/12 3:16 am - Granada Hills, CA

Cambell's makes these great sauce packets for mixing with meat - they are pretty new and I love them - especially toasted sesame and fire roasted tomato. I usually just throw in a little skillet with some shredded rotissierie chicken. 

I also like ground turkey or beef with sloppy joe sauce with a little bit of melted mozzerella cheese. Very yummy. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/4/12 3:26 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'll look for those. Thanks!
I love sloppy joe sauce (nobody else in the family does) and will get some for myself. I've been freezing 1/2 cup portions of ground turkey cooked with various sauces. My favourites so far are taco turkey and butter turkey. Sloppy joe turkey will be my next version.

mauigirl2
on 12/4/12 9:21 am - kihei, HI

Where did you find those campbells sauce packets?

chanteuse1
on 12/4/12 3:29 am - LA
VSG on 09/05/12

Low heat all day?

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/4/12 3:39 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My crockpot is a 2 litre one - just right for 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with sauce. I put in the chicken still mostly frozen and had it on high for about 5-6 hours.

If the chicken wasn't frozen I think I'd do it on high for the first hour or so, then low for the rest of the day. If you have to be out all day - maybe start it on high before breakfast, then turn it down just before you leave the house?

pinkpeonies
on 12/4/12 3:33 am
VSG on 04/23/12

OOoh, great ideas on this thread! I have a hard time with chicken and ground turkey...well, any dry meat. Even my last batch of Elina's Green Chicken Soup was a little tough to manage because I overcooked the chicken and didn't get it shredded nicely. I'm going to have to try some of these ideas to see if they help. Thank you!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 333 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 383 views