how long until I can have...coffee, almonds, olives

rhearob
on 12/9/12 9:11 am - TN

Everything ruggie said.

I would add a few things:

1.  Almonds, like all nuts are very calorically dense.  If you are on a typical 600 calorie a day diet, you won't have room for them in your diet allowance.  About 7-10 almonds is 100 calories and only a few grams of protein.  There are better things to spend your calories on than almonds.

2.  Work on the oppositional issues.  This is not you agains the NUT or You against the doctor.  This is you against the disease.  You need to be focusing on your overall wellness and new lifestyle changes, not oppositional thinking.

3.  MOst decaffeinated coffees are **** because to keep the cost down the use **** beans to offset the cost of the decaff'ing process.  Find a good coffee store and get a good quality decaf coffee.  Good Coffee Store does not equal decaf grounds at your local mega mart.  Get the beans whole and use 2 tbsp of grounds to 6 oz of water.  It will be much better than what you get prepackaged.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

texasrigdiver
on 12/9/12 9:35 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

I'm not really being oppositional, i just want to know the why's if I'm going to be asked to do something. My doc hasn't put a calorie restriction on me so when you mention a 600 cal/day diet, I'm already in trouble. In the 11 days post op I think I may have 2 days

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

ruggie
on 12/9/12 9:36 am - Sacramento, CA

What is your current daily caloric intake?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

texasrigdiver
on 12/9/12 9:50 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

Today was 860, yesterday was 930, friday was 741...

thats a cup of clear soup for each meal with a protein shake, one greek yogurt a day and one jellow pack with 2 tbs non dairy whipped cream.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

INgirl
on 12/9/12 12:11 pm, edited 12/9/12 12:13 pm

Your header says you had a DS, if this is correct- you are posting on the VSG board, and we don't eat quite the same as you would.. For one, most but not all here tend to be very low fat/low cal.. make sure you are posting to those that have walked the same surgery path so you don't get too confused. Yes, we all have a sleeved stomach- but for you, with the DS (?) your needs for fat eventually as you heal will not be the same due to your significant malabsorption of that macro.

I never went super-low fat as fat is necessary for hormonal function and vitamin absorption, but due to room/cal restrictions early on- I by default was moderately low.. now, not so much.. but still low carb.

Oh, and on the caffeine thing, the dehydration issue is not true- it has been debunked a while ago. Unless it bothers you acid wise, or otherwise stimulates your appetite (generally the opposite) I never omitted it. I started back at about 2mo out, and love the stuff as always.

Grantus
on 12/9/12 9:56 am

A lot of people here find that 600 to 800 calories a day is the sweet spot for losing weight. I've been taking in more calories than that and doing ok, but as others have said, almonds and some other nuts have a lot of calories. There are a lot of better things to eat when you're losing weight.

bigred_z
on 12/9/12 10:23 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Caffeine is a stimulant.  Stimulants increase the chance of stomach spasms.  Having had these my 2nd week post op, I can tell you they suck.  I couldn't keep ANYTHING DOWN and every bite and drink was painful, it lasted for about 4-5 days after drinking caffeinated tea.   There's your buy in!!

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/12 9:35 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 384 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 418 views