how long until I can have...coffee, almonds, olives

texasrigdiver
on 12/9/12 6:51 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

I know for foods that I have to chew the minimum I have to wait is until I'm allowed to have those is until I'm off the stage 4 soft foods. I can't wait to have olives again so I'm looking forward to that but when I'm on regular foods I'll be able to eat almonds? they are pretty hard and don't really digest well to begin with.

Right now though I'm re-stocking coffee/tea supplies for my Keurig. I typically have never drank decaf versions except for the last 8-10 days (post-op), and so far I'm not impressed. I've been told I can't have regular caffeinated coffee from several different sources but I don't do well being told I can't do something unless I know why the restriction is there, no buy in on my part then I don't participate, yes I do have problems with authority. Why can't I have caffeinated coffee? typically, I only drink one cup of coffee a day anyway. with drinking a single cup o joe and drinking an additional 64-100 ounces of water the typical answer of it will dehydrate me isn't going to fly here.

Why can't I have decaffeinated coffee?

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

9540back
on 12/9/12 7:28 am
VSG on 11/30/12

My surgeon allows caffeinated coffee post op. I have been drinking 1-2 cups since day 3 post op. drink up!

judyk62
on 12/9/12 7:33 am - Santa Rosa, CA

I have been drinking regular coffee since the day I got home from the hospital - with my surgeon's approval.

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

bill B.
on 12/9/12 7:52 am - NC
VSG on 12/13/12
Reg coffee is on my moderation list and almonds are on my caution list, because of the texture but they are aloud after my ninth week. Thats when I am in my life time stage.

duck1975
on 12/9/12 8:12 am - MI
VSG on 08/28/12

Caffeine is a appetite supressent.

Wildcat-NYC
on 12/9/12 8:28 am, edited 12/9/12 8:28 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I've had coffee since 2 weeks post op.  I also make my protein shakes with coffee.  Probably have at least 24 oz of coffee a day.  My nut and dr are ok with it as long as I also get in my 64+ oz of water.  

I have not had almonds or olives yet and I'm about 4 months out.  For me, almonds don't have enough protein for the amount of calories they have.  These will be something that I add sparingly in maintenance.

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
ruggie
on 12/9/12 8:59 am - Sacramento, CA

Ok, here's the deal.

People say not to have caffeine while you lose weight.  You know caffeine is a mild stimulant - that's why it's the most widely used drug.  Ok.  Caffeine antagonizes cortisol levels, which you might think is good - this increases heart rate and blood pressure.  But coritsol causes a hunger/craving response in preparation to what your body perceives is a stressful situation. Moreover, cortisol can encourage the storage of belly fat.  This effect is even worse if you happen to be partially insulin resistant, which many obese people are.

My opinion is if you're having one cup of black coffee a day and you're getting at least 2 liters of water a day like you say you are, you're probably ok.  I would be mindful though of any head hunger or food cravings you have after you have your coffee - just be cognizant and realize the cravings are head hunger, if you get any.

I should think there's no reason you can't have decaffinated coffee.  Maybe this one has slipped past me, but I can't think of a good reason why.  Coffee actually has several positive qualities.

Hope this helps.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/9/12 1:57 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
This is one of the many reasons why your public service for life commitment should be to us fatties trying to become normies on OH and why you really should have an "ask Ruggie" day once every whenever or column regularly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ruggie
on 12/9/12 2:24 pm - Sacramento, CA

O.o

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

vsgwife
on 12/9/12 9:10 am
VSG on 11/05/12

My husband started on decaf 3 months before surgery. He is allowed unlimited decaf since surgery and drinks 2 cups every morning. And it counts towards your fluid intake !  As far as almonds, he was told no nuts until 2months post op

hugs,

kelly

HW: 327    SW:  314    CW  211    GW:  185     

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 202 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op