Whoa! Surgical Consult Tomorrow Already!

GettingFitBy40
on 12/11/12 7:47 am - Antioch, CA

Hi OH friends!  This is a bit long but bear with me if you're with Kaiser (in NorCal specifically)

I've started my official journey with the WLS in October 2012.  I have Kaiser Permanente insurance in the Northern California Region.  I say this because I do know that each Kaiser Region is different with WLS requirements and procedures and everyone likes to know timelines, including me.

So here we go: My primary doctor signed me up for the Mandatory Intro to WLS class which was 10/24/12.  On 11/12/12, I decided I was ready to proceed and asked for the referral to the Bariatric Program in Richmond, CA.  On the same day the Doctor sent the referral, the clinic called me within 2 hours and I was definitely surprised by that! They offered to schedule me for my 4 hour Orientation that week but I was out of town for a few weeks so I requested 12/6/12 as my orientation date and I was there.  They scheduled my surgical consult for tomorrow morning which was only 6 days later. I can't believe how fast this process is. (It could have been even sooner if I was ready sooner and not traveling). I am eager to meet the surgeon and hear what he has to say and what my % or pounds required to lose before surgery will be. He did say last week that those of us who carry most of our weight in our belly's, often need to lose a little more weight because they need more room to work and there's a higher risk of complications with those who have excess belly fat.  So unfortunately, I fit in that category. I am a Hardcore Apple Shape!  I am aiming for VSG but there is always the chance that the surgeon recommends RNY instead. They DO NOT do the Lap Band at all as there were far too many complications.

During the 4 Hour Orientation, pretty much they told us START NOW by cutting out smoking (i don't smoke), caffeine (this is my biggest challenge), alcohol (maybe 3 times per year did I drink so no issues there) and quit carbonated beverages - (not a problem for me).  Other folks asked "how long is the process to get a sugery date" and the response is "it's up to you" meaning YOU are the one driven to make the necessary changes in your life to lose the weight needed prior to surgery by following their 1200 calorie diet layout.  3 meals per day, no snacks, water, and other clear liquids.  Most people get discouraged because it's HARD to go from approx 3000+ calories / day to 1200/day. We feel starved!  Kaiser/Richmond DOES NOT do protein shakes, powders, etc. before or after...  they give us the outline of the approved foods before surgery and the approved foods for each stage after. I can honestly say that it will be my Bible for the rest of my life, something to always refer to before and after my WLS. So I am aiming for Mid-March Surgery Date after my travels (always traveling from San Francisco to Philadelphia to visit my family and friends). NOTE: Some folks were aiming for 1st week of January for surgery.  That is too hectic of a challenge with the holidays looming around the corner.

As for me personally, having Kaiser, I was pleased to learn first of all that they do the surgery, secondly that with my plan, there is NO out of pocket cost for me for the surgery or hospital stays or pre op testing and labwork. Vitamins obviously will be my responsibility as well as any costs related to skin removal surgery but I think of how much less money we will be spending on food (for me) and the savings are adding up $$$$$ already.

I will post again after I get back from my consult tomorrow!

Cheers!

Jennifer

HRW : 268 | CW: 260 | SW: needs to be 230 or less | GW: 135 | VSG in 2013!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views