Depressed

Laci M.
on 12/18/12 10:10 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I'm not sure why I'm feeling so low lately, but I'm in full on panic mood about protein.  I haven't really been keeping track of my protein, but I try to eat high protein meals.  

I don't usually eat breakfast, I can't get any of the protein shakes down without making myself sick...

Should I just stick with meat at every meal?  No sides?  No veggies?  I'm getting frustrated and depressed.  

christina88
on 12/18/12 10:34 am

Im having the same problem. Lately ive just been eating chicken or tuna, no veggies really. Can't stand protein shakes now either...idk what to do! I know im not getting in enough protein!

cece58
on 12/18/12 11:05 am - CA

Have you tried Premier Protein shakes? They are premixed and I think the chocolate is really good. Also, are you taking vitamins and mineral supplements? I asked my surgeon about not eating fruit and he said that is why I need my vitamins. You can eat vegetables (not the starchy kind) but eat the protein first. I used to make a scrambled egg with a little Canadian bacon cut up for breakfast (I made it with egg whites from a carton). That with a protein shake (spread out over a few hours) gave me about 40 grams of protein in the morning. Add some greek yogurt and maybe some tuna in the afternoon and then some chicken or beef for dinner.and a green, leafy vegetable. You should experiment with different foods and make sure that you write everything down. Exercise will also make you feel better. Cafe Frisco (at lapsf.com) has lots of really tasty recipes posted that are low cal and high protein. Experiment with protein shakes because you can get a lot of your protein in with one as a supplement. I drink them right after I exercise and while I get my vitamins down. Not having a plan can really be depressing so you should plan out your meals everyday until you get to goal. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Italian-Princess
on 12/18/12 11:09 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Tuna packed in water -- 2 ounces drained gives you 12 grams of protein.  Add a bit of fat free mayo and some dill or sweet relish and you have a tuna salad.  Tuna is one of those things that I could eat 3 ounces of at a couple of months out -- just chewed it to death.  At 3 ounces, that's 15 grams of protein.  Tilapia is another good fish.........4 ounces gives you 23 grams of protein.  It seems any finny fish is easier to eat more of and, therefore, get in more protein -- and you won't feel stuffed from eating it.  Calories are low, too............about 100 calories for the tilapia (no carbs at all) and 70 calories for the tuna (again, no carbs at all).  Extra lean turkey burgers have 100 calories in a 2.5 ounce serving with 17 grams of protein and 1 gram of carbs.  I cut up my portion after cooking it thoroughly, and add a bit of mustard or mayo or a tablespoon of marinara sauce to moisten it. 

You can have a little bit of veggies.  I prefer the frozen mixed veggies to get corn, peas, carrots and beans -- 1/4 cup is about 10 calories, 5 grams of carbs and 1 gram of protein.  Frozen green beans are another good choice -- 1/4 cup is about 10 calories, 2 grams of carbs and a trace of protein.  You can have 1/2 cup of broccoli for 30 calories, 6 grams of carbs and 1 gram of protein.

Those are just examples.  Grilled chicken breast can be seasoned a gazillion ways with various herbs and spices.  I use fat free dressings sometimes to flavor grilled chicken breast.  Just be creative and you'll find lots of ways to get your protein in and enjoy some veggies without going bonkers with too many carbs.

Remember that you can add unflavored protein powder to a lot of foods...........just be careful about the temperatures as it will clump if the temp is too high..  And unflavored doesn't mean no taste -- so you do have to have stronger seasonings and/or marinades when using it.  A half scoop of unflavored protein powder will give you about 50 calories, a trace of carbs and about 9 grams of protein.

I didn't used to eat breakfast either.  I do now.  Sometimes it's just 3 Jimmy Dean turkey breakfast lines for 120 calories and 13 grams of protein and only 1 carb,  Eating on a schedule is one of the best thing you can do. 

Our sleeves are great TOOLS -- but they have to be used properly or we are doomed.  Decide now that you will make no excuses and you will do your best to get your protein and fluids in each day.  Being bored, frustrated, depressed doesn't do anyone any good...........you have to set your mind to this and give it 100% every single day.  It's really not that hard to get the 70-80 grams of protein in and stay at 600 calories a day.  I've been doing it for several months and it's second nature now.  But you MUST WANT to succeed.

Hope these ideas help you..................good luck.

Ree

lucy2e
on 12/18/12 11:38 am - Laurel, MD

I haven't done protein shakes for breakfast since the beginning - instead I have 2 low fat string cheese (16 g protein total) every morning.  For each meal start with your protein and do the sides if you have room for a little more.  You can do this!!!!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

acbbrown
on 12/18/12 12:23 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Im the queen of feeling depressed and anxious lately so I'll share a few tips with you - I had to have a little "heart to heart" with myself today. 

If you are panicked - you need to identify WHY and then you need to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. You can fix that WHY - but it requires you to stop and outline the steps you need to take to fix it. Google/search/ask about all sorts of high protein foods that you might be able to handle - there are a lot of unexpected protein sources out there along with some basic staples that you can use to get in a min protein amount. 

Second, start tracking. You might hate it and resist it at first, but it will enable you to keep track of your protein so that you know if you are meeting your goals. Shooting in the wind, not knowing, not being in control - those will cause you to be anxious. If you know, you will feel more in control. It will help with the anxiety and depression. 

Third - you need to eat breakfast. It's a critical part of a healthy life style change, your metabolism needs it, your body needs it, and it will allow you to boost your protein levels - even if it's a hardboiled egg or something. 

If you can afford it, consider getting some protein supplements from www.mybariatricpantry.com - they have wonderful protein oatmeal, pancakes, hot chocolate, puddings, etc. If nothing else, get creative with shakes and try all sorts of bases (milk, almond milk, soy, whatever you like), methods (shake, stir, blend), temps (hot, cold), brands/flavors, try Torani Syrups. If you really are dedicated to getting your protein in, you will get it in. 

Once you are further out, you may be able to sart having more veggies with meals, but stick with protein for now until you are meeting your goals. 

Hang in there, it's tough but you can do this. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sleeveless
on 12/18/12 1:02 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Excellent advice the ladies have given you. I also suggest the protein tomato bouillon from MyBariatricPantry.com. That and their hot chocolate have been lifesavers for me, as I'm a vegetarian and don't eat any meat.

To shake the boredom up, I've also been adding Unjury unflavored protein powder to fat-free refried beans, and you can't even taste it.

I also hate the protein drinks. Just the thought of them drives me to near vomiting. I know how tough it is. But, with these three products, I have been hanging in there.

Good luck, and I really hope your depression eases. Hugs.

Laci M.
on 12/18/12 8:45 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Thank you all so much.  I'm definitely going to re-assess what I'm doing.  I'll pick up some "new" foods soon and if I have to force myself to eat breakfast, I will. 

You are all so helpful.  I really appreciate all your help. 

morgans
on 12/18/12 9:14 pm
VSG on 06/18/12

I'm 6 months out and here's my general eating plan:

• Breakfast - I have never been able to eat food first thing in the morning. Still can't - it makes me nauseous. So my first intake after water is black coffee with Unjury Chocolate Splendor over ice. That gets me started with 20g of protein right out of the gate and my coffee.
  • 10-11am - a packet of "raw" trail mix with high omega nuts and cranberries and about 20 minutes later, a cheese stick (or vice versa).
  • 1pm-ish - lunch, which is usually some kind of chicken, followed a little later by a 4oz can of V8 juice (how I get  most of my veggies in).
  • 3-4pm - This is my seasonal fruit time - an apple with some sharp Irish cheddar or mango in season. OR a Luna bar OR another can of V8.
  • 6-8pm - dinner - meat first, then whatever veggies I can squeeze in. We do eat Thai a lot and I get tofu because it's not as dense as chicken and I can more easily get veggies in. I also eat sushi (sashimi - no rice) at least once a week.
  • All day - water water water.

'Tis the season to feel a little low, so cut yourself some slack. Definitely track what you're eating so you'll feel more in control. And really - try V8. I don't get a lot of sodium in my diet so I can have the full-on salt packed one, but the low sodium is not bad, and there's the spicy one that you can use to make Bloody Mary's. Not saying make Bloody Mary's - just virgin ones. :)

Laci M.
on 12/19/12 11:33 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Thank you for that post.  Your suggestions definitely help.  I did better with my protein today.  Still didn't get it all in, but I got more than normal!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views