An outfit. As in, put-together, looking good, outfit.

louisamay
on 12/19/12 6:53 am
VSG on 04/27/12

I have certainly had nice clothes and even cute outfits before, but somehow now that I'm losing weight and--gasp--looking good, I find myself so much more focused on it.  Not in a bad way. In a proud way. Taking pride in my appearance. Not just jeans and a sweater or jeans and a t-shirt, but even--gasp again--accessories!

The funny thing is, a lot of this stuff has been around here for years. A braided leather belt (70s-era--no idea where it came from) that I wore with my jeans Sunday. (Cute knit top--TUCKED IN??? YES.) Braided leather belt. Brown boots and brown leather necklace, again one that was in a drawer for a couple of decades. A knit sweater vest, multi-color, I've had since the mid-80s and ran across when I was getting rid of my old fat clothes.

My point? I put it all together and thought, this all looks very retro and cool, damn, I'm going to wear this to the supermarket.

And when I got there--an upscale specialty market with very hip personnel manning the wine bar (yes, wine bar) -- one of the guys (yes, GUYS) looked at me and said, "That is a great outfit."

I don't get compiments on my style. Heck, I don't have a style.

But the girl working with him nodded and asked where I got my belt, where I got my boots....

A couple of Christmases ago I gave my husband a black cashmere turtleneck.  When it was cold a couple of weeks ago, I put it on with jeans. It hangs long and slim like a tunic, and looks fabulous. I put on my black low-top boots with straight-legged jeans and--wait for it--the FEDORA I bought at World Market a month ago, feeling like a fool, wondering when I'd ever wear it and what with. It's black and white wool, sort of houndstooth-y. Hard to describe, but I had nothing to wear it with--until I pulled on that cashmere turtleneck.

Yes. Compliments from strangers.

It's a whole new world out there, and I'm liking it. So. I have two outfits. I think it's time to figure out another one. Not just clothes, but something that looks SMART. This is all new to me, and I'm loving it.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

synthangel
on 12/19/12 6:57 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

Wow good for you! I havent lost much yet.. but I have already noticed that I have been trying hard on my looks and using accessories!

louisamay
on 12/19/12 7:01 am
VSG on 04/27/12

Your fun is just beginning! And congrats on the weight loss. You're doing great!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

judyk62
on 12/19/12 7:58 am - Santa Rosa, CA

I'm in much the same place as you, but with less style! I am close to goal, still working on it, but it feels good trying on and wearing new clothes. But I don't have your flair for stlyle - need to work on developing a style of my own. I'm pretty proud that I can wear skinny jeans at age 63, but I need to expand my horizons. Your outfits sound really fun!

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

seaco11
on 12/19/12 8:00 am - MA
VSG on 11/13/12

Congrats on the deserved positive attitude, great styling of  a vintage look and accepting well deserved compliments!

Enjoy every minute!

Ellyn

Ellyn 

Terrimarv
on 12/19/12 9:27 am - IL
VSG on 12/04/12
Your whole post made me smile! When I was in college (roughly the same decade outfit #1 would have been stylish the first time around), I always felt like the fat chick. And I would sacrifice a limb to that size again. You have given hope to the hopeless today--thanks for sharing.

TSinNC
on 12/19/12 10:02 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Fantastic! Congrats!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

alabamaorthogirl
on 12/19/12 10:44 am - AL
VSG on 02/19/13
That is great. I can't wait to really take pride in my appearance. I'm at the why bother stage. Where I live you could where that houndstooth hat anywhere with anything. ROLL TIDE!!!!
bigred_z
on 12/19/12 7:51 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

I totally get you!!  My sis is a 120lb health nazi and die hard fashionista.  I could always dress her, cuz at 120lbs, she would look good in a burlap sack.  So I know I can pick out the spiffy duds, just never bothered on my form. 

I long for the days when I can see my collarbones, and my chest doesn't look like 2 large watermelons hanging over my bulging gut!!  Oh yeah, and perhaps not having an ass that I could set knick knacks on...yeah, that'd be flippin fantastik!! 

So I am all kinds of encouraged by your tales of fashion pride...as always, keep rockin that sleeve!

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 397 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views