jacreasy
on 12/23/12 2:50 am
VSG on 04/23/12

nOT SURE, BUT WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT AS WELL! GOOD lUCK! oPPS

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Feystorm
on 12/23/12 3:02 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

I had thin hair going in and it got significantly worse following surgery.  At about 3 months out it was so thin that when I put it back in a pony tail it looked like I had numerous bald spots.  

I have tried it all.  I used Nioxin shampoo, take biotin 5000 every single day.  I think that it finally stopped falling out around the time I was consistently making my protein goals.  I still use the biotin and meet my protein.  My hair has finally started coming in again the past three months or so (I am 9 months out).  I had hacked off ALLLLLL of my hair, and am now sporting a pixie cut.  I can't wait for it to grow back out.

I would say that protein and time are going to be the best you can get on this.  The biotin helps.  Nioxin is supposed to help, but honestly, in my case, it was a severe waste of money. :(

Good luck 

~Angi

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

getmylifeback12
on 12/23/12 3:24 am - NY

There is nothing you can do but ride it out. The surgery, rapid weight loss, diet changes are all contributing factors in the hair loss, none of which you can change. Just continue to meet/exceed your protein goals. Try to be as healthy as you can. The hair loss will stop. Your hair will grow back. Just takes time. Take your vitamins and if your really concerned talk to the Dr.

cece58
on 12/23/12 3:49 am - CA

I lost a ton of hair. So much so that I looked like I was on Chemotherapy. I wore it up in a clip most of the time. I got in all my protein, took all my vitamins and supplements (22 in the morning, 10 in the evening) and still it was terrible. However, after a year my hair started to grow again and now 2 years later it is MUCH fuller and nicer than ever before. It's one of the side effects of losing weight and there isn't much you can do about it. I use Nioxon Shampoo for thin hair and it seems to help. Lots of biotin, and other vitamins and minerals and time. It's really all you can do. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Danielle32
on 12/23/12 4:41 am

I began to take prenatal vitamins because when i was pregnant with my children it caused my hair to grow. It has not stopped my hair from coming out but I have noticed that I have a lot of re-growth all over the place. I have also noticed that it is getting longer and fuller. I checked with my dietician prior to taking these vitamins and she said that it was fine to take these so its an ides that you might want to try :) Good Luck.

C. Harvey
on 12/23/12 7:28 am
VSG on 01/11/12

I have regrowth...my hair looks like a hedgehog on the top and sides when I wa**** before fixing it. Guess I'm just impatient.

Bekahre7
on 12/23/12 7:33 am

My surgeon said protein is the key.  Which is kind of freaking me out, because I'm having a hard time getting my protein in 2 weeks out from surgery. :(  No hair loss yet, but I'm just bracing myself.

C. Harvey
on 12/23/12 8:34 am
VSG on 01/11/12

I didnt start to lose mine till 7 months out....I get my protein and always have...the rapid weight loss tho can cause the hair loss, or they are figuring mine is hormonal because of my PCOS...I have had even more problems with my PCOS since surgery. I'm just hoping it gets better soon! I mean it isn't the end of the world...but I'm seriously considering a wig.

sevencats
on 12/23/12 9:35 am

It just seems to be part of severe weight loss--I had the same issue after losing a significant amount of weight on optifast.  My stylist recommended going for a very short style; not only did it make the new growth less obvious; she told me that the weight of the longer hair added to the loss, and that cutting it short as possible would lessen the strain on the hair, and make me lose less.  I'm not sure how much it slowed down the hair loss, but it at least made it less obvious.  Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 114 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 340 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 388 views