Uncomfortable situation...question

D. Scott
on 12/24/12 6:36 am
RNY with

So I haven't told the majority of my coworkers about my VSG however in order to not be obvious at lunch time and at Christmas parties I have told everyone I am dieting. I only took two days off work and have been losing super slow so there is no reason for anyone to suspect but now the girls are putting together a "Biggest Loser" challenge for the new year to see who can lose the greatest percentage of weight in a set time. I have been asked to join and know it would seem strange if I don't. However since two people at work know I had the surgery I would feel strange joining like I have what most would consider an unfair advantage. I do know we can argue the point that its still hard work but it doesn't change the fact that one of the girls who knows is extremely active with gym workouts and barely maintains her weight so almost any loss for me will surely beat her. I don't even know that I would be the biggest loser, but its uncomfortable even being put in the situation where I would feel obligated to lose. Any thoughts?

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

Minemake14
on 12/24/12 7:20 am

If you are uncomfortable joining, don't. Tell them you are happy witht eh changes you are making in your eating/diet, and just don't want to add any stress or pressure on yourself, but would be happy to cheer them on and support their efforts. If they don't like it, too bad....I am thinking this needs to be a "me first" time in life.....

Urseo
on 12/25/12 9:11 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/12

Agreed!

I understand why workplaces do these competitions (to get insurance premiums down), but I don't think they're a healthy phenomenon.  There's enough emotional baggage around dieting without adding competition to it.  

Hislady
on 12/24/12 7:50 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with the OP there is no reason you have to join. I'd tell them never watched the show and don't really have any interest in joining in. No reason to stress yourself. As over weight people for some reason we tend to think we have to make everybody else happy and that's one thing I finally learned with age is that I don't HAVE to do anything. I give a polite decline and if that's isn't enough oh well tough stuff they'll have to deal with it, not my problem! You are entitled to your own opinion and can do whatever you want and now is your time!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/12 9:16 am
VSG on 06/04/12

Well, you don't have to join if you don't want to but you really don't have an unfair advantage.  The sleeve doesn't make you lose weight, you do.  The only thing the sleeve helps is your appetite and the amount of food you can eat in one sitting but all the work, all the sweat and effort are yours and yours alone.  I am joining the biggest loser competition at my gym so I can be accountable and hopefully get the last 30 lbs off.

INgirl
on 12/24/12 2:54 pm, edited 12/24/12 2:55 pm

I would just gracefully decline.. for me, that would remove myself from any stress. No need to do anything you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable with. Frankly from losing all my weight once, from 300+lbs to normal- and doing it this time after regaining most of it over a decade plus, it is a big advantage. No questions about that for myself. Can't speak for another, but I've done it both ways and I would not be comfortable unless I was open about it to all from the beginning..

laviecharmee
on 12/24/12 10:27 pm - CA
VSG on 12/16/13

At my work they do weight loss challenges as well and when people ask me if I want to join (especially if I am currently dieting) I tell them that I prefer to diet on my own (which is true) When faced with competition, I will often do whatever it takes to win whi*****ludes unhealthy eating so I would rather continue on my own then do something unhealthy in the name of competition.

~Kim

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 294 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views