Trying it again

AsuraDunnigan
on 1/2/13 11:08 am - Detroit, MI

Happy New Year!  October 2009 I had a VSG.  My highest weight was 325 lbs, but I was 314 lbs at the time of surgery.  I am scheduled to be re-sleeved, have a hiatic hernia repair, and a gallbladder removal on 1/15/13.  I started wearing a size 26/28 and I now wear a size 16.  I have fluctuated between 221 lbs - 255 lbs. since 6 months post op.  I have also had health issues (mainly sciatic nerve and back problems) since surgery.

After following up with my surgeon's office about 6 months post op. they were very displeased with my weight loss (although I was about 221 lbs. at that time).  This was very discouraging and I was very consistent and working really hard to lose weight.  I went back to the office one time since then to meet with the nutritionist.  I have a different surgeon now and I feel very confident that I will be successful, heck I have been successful already.

It was discovered that my stomach had been dilated and I needed the above procedures in addition to rectify the gallstone/ reflux issues.  It was decided on 10/20/12 that I needed a "partial-gastrectomy" as well as the other procedures mentioned.  Just before xmas I received my surgery date.  Today is the first day of my liquid diet (800 cal.)...its not as bad as the first time so far.  Peace and Blessings.

Ticker represents first goal.          
lisa2job
on 1/2/13 11:27 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12

Good luck with your surgery !!!    think you have done great loosing 100 lbs and they were not happy , they should of been jumping up and down.  but anyways  I also would of moved Doctors , having great support is worth its weight in gold

Kusoreo
on 1/2/13 12:02 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12

Best of luck to you!!

~Elizabeth 

5'8"  HW: 296  SW: 284  CW: 184  GW: 160

ms_dar
on 1/2/13 9:25 pm - Canada

Good luck with your surgery. 

If you don't mind sharing some info, I have some questions. I don't understand the need for second gastrectomy. I thought our sleeve could not stretch out?? Why do they have to remove more of yours? What is your normal amount of food per sitting? I'm curious because your story is similar to mine. I lost a bit over 100 before recently gaining about 20 (my own poor choices). Even when I was being good, I wasn't able to lose more weight or reach my goal.  A meal typically consists of 1- 1 1/2 cups of food. I eat lean protein (lots of chicken, cottage  cheese, lean pork) and veggies (usually salad with lots of lettuce). Recent CT scan shows I have a hiatal hernia and I also have many gall stones although they haven't caused me much discomfort thus far. 

Thanks for any information you have to share.

AsuraDunnigan
on 1/3/13 12:06 pm - Detroit, MI

Thank you.  No I don't mind sharing details.  When I regained weight and had gotten up to 255 I considered possibly having my surgery revised to a DS.  I saw the nutritionist and I sought out a therapist that specialized in food addictions.  After seeing her for several months I began to have panics that were very scary so I began seeing the psychiatrist in the office and re-started my ADHD meds and medication for anxiety.  The stimulant assisted me in getting to a more comfortable weight (between 228-233).

Last summer I hurt my foot and was wearing a protective boot, I then began having excruciating pain in my back and my right leg.  I eventually began getting steroid injections to help with the pain (this increased my appetite) and I was no longer mobile.

Now I have never been a marathon runner, but after losing weight I purchased a bike and would ride a couple miles a few times a week.  I was also taking a dance class which I had to discontinue.  I have a desk job and usually after work I come home and lay on the heating pad to ease the pain.

So when I began to have gall stone attacks and the doctors ordered test, after test, after test they determined that I need the hernia repaired, my gall bladder removed and a partial gastrectomy.  Now I can't say for sure if I stretched my stomach or if the original surgery left me with a larger sleeve.

Now I accept responsibility for my poor choices, but the amount of food that I am actually able to eat varies.  I am on a liquid diet that started yesterday.  But Tuesday, for dinner I ate 5 wing dings, a sweet potato, a small piece of bread and a couple of bites of peanut butter pie.

There are times when I can only eat about 3 inch portion of a sub.  Other times I can eat 8 inches.  Generally, I eat appropriately, but I have noticed that I don't eat considerably less than most people.  I generally snack on greek yogart or nuts.  I dont eat much meat.

I do get hungry.  My stomach rumbles and growls.  The Adderall helps with the hunger.  I do enjoy eating at night after putting my children to bed.

Ticker represents first goal.          
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views